Skip to content

Discuss This Bike chooser: Big retros General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike chooser: Big retros

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Bike chooser: Big retros

I fancy a good-looking air-cooled retro bike, what are my options? I’m looking at spending around £4-5,000 and need one that is practical as I’d like to take my wife on the back for Sunday jaunts to the seaside.James, email Suzuki GSX1400, £2,500 - £5,500The GSX is physically the biggest of the air-cooled retro bikes and is a machine with one...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 16:53)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rowdygimly

Jan 09

Rowdygimly says:

Big Retros?

Since when are the Ducati or the Triumph classed as Big Retros?

Where are the Kawasaki Zrx,s the 1100 and the 1200 and why isn,t the Honda Cb1300 mentioned long before you get to the Ducati or the Triumph..

I can understand the Moto Guzzi as it,s always been sorta retro.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

I agree on cb1300 and zrx. And because Honda still make the CB, parts will never be an issue, even though they're reliable anyway

Reply to this Topic
hungoverdog

Jan 09

hungoverdog says:

Is it because the CB1300 isnt air cooled? And that was the first requirement, although the CB is an awesome bike...i have one!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I had an XJR 1300 a few years ago. It was a brilliant bike and my missus said it was the comfiest bike she had ever been on the back of. I'd have another tomorrow if I could afford more than one bike. Torquey and really smooth, recommended!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Retro's

What about Harley Davidsons and BMW GS/RT's ?

Reply to this Topic
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

god that Ducati GT1000 is ugly, looks like the old monkey bikes in the 70's

Reply to this Topic
HerbertChapman

Sep 10

Scrambler my fat white arse. Like anyone

with that Triumph would do anything remotely akin to scrambling on it :-D

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

hungoverdog

oh yeah, i missed the air cooled bit, just saw big retro :-)

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Retro Muscle

After finally weaning myself off sports bikes, over the last 5 or 6 years I have had an XJR, CB1300 (unfaired) and currently have the GSX1400, I have loved owning every one of them and although they are big heavy bikes they all handle brilliantly and have loads of grunt both at the top end and low down, they are all really comfy to ride as well (other than prolonged high speed riding when the wind can get a bit tiring on the neck and arms (maybe an age thing for me), but you can always fit a screen if you want to be a wimp, ha ha) as far as taking pillion is concerned you barely notice having anyone on the back.

I had no mechanical worries at all with either the XJR or the GSX although did have some gear change problems with the CB. All of these bikes are gorgeous looking and choice is down to your own personal preference but I would have no hesitation in recommending any of these, any one of them is sure to put a massive grin on your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Retro Muscle

Oooops never noticed the "air cooled" either, forget the CB1300 then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices