Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

webby35

Jan 10

webby35 says:

First Bike- F650

Hi i am on a restricted licence and i am looking for bikes ,

I want somthing that i can tour/ have fun on as this would is my second vehicle, 
ideally i would want an SV650 but finding a good one on my budget seems to be difficult as the insurance is quite high on it , 
I have found a nice BMW F650 funduro and was wondering if people have any experience of the bike as they are well within my budget as they are so cheep to insure, also anyone got any ideas for a nice first bike ? 

Cheers 
Tom    

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 March 2013 19:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I had

an F650 dakar and it was the biggest pile of shite I've ever ridden. It was lowered however and every review I've read rates them highly so it may have been the lowering and engine issues (I kinda broke it) that ruined it. It was a stupid bike - it had an extra exhaust on which it didn't use, it just increased the weight.

I currently have the same engine in a lighter bike and, aside from being boring, isn't bad at all so it's possible the 'funduro' will be just fine.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

have you thought about...

a 650 versys? an early one should be in your budget and they seem bullet proof.good tank range and frugal.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i had a F650 funduro

for two years, i used it to commute to work in that time and ran it as well as 851. which was handy as the Duke broke down a lot.

i liked the power,more than enough to mess about , on the right road could keep with more powerful bikes and if ridden sensibly could return 75mpg+

it would handle well enough to get the pegs down, and as you've said its pretty cheap to buy, run and insure.

the main problem i'm aware of is the wheel bearing have a tendancy to expire, so if it ever handles a bit like itg got a puncture then thats the first thing to check( ended up having it done on mine)

all in all a very good bike, an SV would be better but needs must sometimes, i did try and get another one myself, but it seems the price of petrol has made them more desirable recently and to my mind £1200 ish for a 25 year old bike is too much.

i do know where a minter is though with less than 3000 miles on it with one owner from new, but if he ever sells that its mine:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
webby35

Jan 10

webby35 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the info , the  650 versys seem to be out of my budget as the earliest i can find is one from 2007 and its out of budget unfortunately 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

F650

One of the most problematic bike on here and in google.I could prove most costly/unreliable.

How about the DL650 V-STROM? Same engine as the versys. 

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I had the CS650

It was my winter bike for several years. No real problems apart from the odd flat battery for no obvious reason, but thet was only 3 times over 3 years. Did have apalling handling when I got it but a new front tyre sorted that. I exploded the rear suspension but I did spend a lot of time on rough farm tracks with it.

Cheap to run and insure and yes, you can get it to scrape the pegs. It will do 90 all day long and would go quicker if you eel the need.

You can restrict them. I think it's fitted on the carb and it stops you using full throttle. Still pretty lively but you'll notice a big diference once you can get it taken off.

Nice bike, but you will get your leg pulled almost as much as a Harley owner.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

poor beelady...

you must have taken some stick being an owner of both....vindicated now though with your street triple.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices