You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Z1000 Handling

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

Z1000 Handling

Hi Guys, I have bought a 04 Z1000 to use all year round to go to and from work as well as weekend riding with sports bikey mates. I have been riding for 12 years and have been known for being a bit of a.... idiot, with everyone telling me I'm gonna kill myself one day. Anyway I am now a husband and father and have calmed myself down. I find the Z a practical big bike to use everyday, with enough poke to wheelies to show off but when it comes to corners it is not giving me the confidence I want at all. And I am known for being over confident if anything! I find getting my knee down to much of a strain and worry that the big things gonna slide out from under me! high speed corners are a little better, but what can i do to improve the handling so i can relax and plant my knee on the twisties not wondering "is it gonna make it?" How can I make it handle better. I have tried a narrower back tyre and am thinking on raising the rear by 40mm also insuring the suspensions sag is set up for my weight, but does anyone know of any tricks they may have tried to get they're Z handling like a sports bike.

My last bike was an 04 RSV1000r that i would run on race tech's so maybe I'm just expecting to much.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 March 2013 12:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

handling

You sound like a hooligan and should be on a race track not on our well kept greasy roads.:shock:

Sports tyres as you know but are you talking choppy handling or faulty/uneven power delivery?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki Z1000 2004

Hi IsraelsRSV

Thing is the RSV is a full on sports bike,not a retro type all rounder like the Z 1000,for a start the Z 1000 is about 40 lbs heavier than a RSV that in its self is a big thing to overcome.The suspension on the Z 1000 isn't fully adjustable,and without looking the rake angle on the Z1000 will be very mild compared to much steeper head stock angle of the RSV 1000.So all in all it could cost a bit to get the more comfortable softer all rounder Z1000 to handle like a full on sports bike.But you can make it much better at a cost(or if that's what you need in a bike,buy another sports bike) .Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

z handling

Hi Guys,

I use the bike all the time so their is only so much i can do about the tyres. I got in a little game of cat and mouse with another biker on a gsxr the other saturday there and so i pushed more than i would normally, and discovered that the z handles much better if i keep my weight over the front even in the corners (not just at speed). But the rear end is prone to a wander when leaning forward. So I think I may try raising the the rear with a riser kit and then adjusting the rebound. May even try lower bars. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki Z1000 2004

Hi again

Why don't you try dropping the forks through the yokes 5mm at a time until you find a happy place you want to be(will speed the steering up,but could make it twitchy at higher speeds ?) ,if you go beyond 15mm you will have to check the that the exhaust down pipes don't start bottoming out under very heavy braking(if you have a belly pan fitted could be even earlier than 15mm ?)just a thought,could save messing about jacking the back up?.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

KCMC

Hi again.

kcmc that is a brilliant idea, and I have done that with bikes in the past but completely forgot. I have a carbon fiber belly pan fitted, but I will try your suggestion first, without lowering too far. And if I still feel the need then go onto the raiser kit for the rear and if still wanting abit more lean then can try flat bars.
The roads where i live and ride are twisty country roads and agility is in greater demand than stability, but because I commute too I don't want to compromise to much the practicality of the bike witch is why i got it in the first place. So thank you for your suggestion and it will be my first adjustment I'll make.  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle