Skip to content

Ask an Expert Foreigners unwelcome?? Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Foreigners unwelcome??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kwikkiwi

Mar 13

kwikkiwi says:

Foreigners unwelcome??

Hello, I live in the UK but am originally from New Zealand.  I have a full UK licence etc etc.  My father is coming to visit (actually really to go to the TT!).  Of course he wants to get on 2 wheels while here.  I have bought him a bike with the V5 in his name.  He has a full NZ licence (no UK licence) with great riding history (over 50 years!).  I am trying to keep him legal and get him some insurance for the 6 weeks he's here. (This is the frustrating bit, insurance isn't compulsory in NZ so if unable to get cover, you're not illegal).  I have met brick wall after brick wall trying to get him cover with no success.  Any help anyone can give would be appreciated....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 March 2013 21:28)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Short term UK insurance for a NZ tourist.

This topic has appeared on the forum once or twice and it seems like a blind spot for UK insurers, probably because there isn't the demand.

I wonder if it would work if you put the bike in your name and then added your Dad to your policy. Alternatively would it be feasible to arrange foreign cover from New Zealand?

I've been insured with H&R Insurance (two bikes and a car with this broker) for a while now and they seem pretty good. Maybe they can help you.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cover

good answer James,your quicker than me.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance

I think you are going to run in to a problem there because in order to have a UK insurance policy you need to be a UK resident.  You may be able to get round it by registering the bike in your name and either adding him as a named rider or insuring it for any rider. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Short term UK insurance for a NZ tourist.

Thanks Jaffa!

Kwikkiwi, you say "I have bought him a bike with the V5 in his name." I'm just wondering whether you gave his address as NZ or UK on the V5. I would have assumed that a V5 with a foreign address was not permitted (-I could be wrong), and I'm wondering about the legality of  registering to a UK address where the owner isn't the resident.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices