Skip to content

Discuss This Deer threat to road safety General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Deer threat to road safety

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Deer threat to road safety

There are more deer in the UK than at any time since the Ice Age, according to a study highlighting the threat to road safety. Deer populations need to be culled by as much as 60% just to keep numbers stable, according to research by the University of East Anglia. A spokeswoman for the university said: “In the absence of natural...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 09:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Dear Deer

If you are going to cull deer for this reason how about including farmers driving tractors on the road, taxi drivers, anyone using a mobile phone hands free or not, or anyone driving a red Nissan Micra. This could make a significant difference to road casualty figures.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Jesus Christ

best watch out for Fenton then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Agreed

All motorcycles should have rifle holders in case of deer and other pests to road users such as all taxi and bus drivers, people who use the phone while driving, that girl who was putting on eyeliner at +70 MPH while overtaking me, that guy who was texting while driving and swerving over the dual carriageway so much that he nearly crashed twice. Ohh and those c***s that tried to run me off the road.

Reply to this Topic
HaplessBiker

Nov 12

HaplessBiker says:

petedj

Good point mate, well made! There are plenty of things on the road I’d consider a more worrying concern than the odd deer (although that said I’ve never hit one, but I have hit a pothole and if I could cull those responsible for the damage to my spine/suspension I’d gladly do so).

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Oh Deer

Just another excuss to kill wildlife cos their's money in it.You never hear about rabbits and the devistation they cause, no money to be made thats why.

Reply to this Topic
PeteDuke

Jul 12

PeteDuke says:

Deer

I was hit by deer at 55 to 60mph on country road, brand new bike with 600 miles on clock written off, 3 days in hospital with 5 broken bones, many dislocated bones and multipull bruising. Riding gear did its job but written off. 4 weeks off work no pay.
Cop that came, breathalysed me, thought I been drinking as he didnt believe me, nearly arrested as i was struggling to blow into it with the injuries. Insurance company rep thought it was funny to say things like 'oh dear, was it an old dear, how was the deer' .
But its classed as 'your fault' accident . Consquently my insurance premiums now gone up, as injury and 'my' fault.
Shoot the lot.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

the human population needs culling, there's too many people for this planet

i live a few miles from where the research was done, and it has always been renowned for how many deer that live there, dont believe it, it's like going to london then counting the number of foreigners

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

I've never seen a deer on the road. Seen lots of people though. My logic might be flawed but surely it's better to cull the species whose number overwhelm their environment?

Just think ....less congestion, less accidents, reduced insurance premiums, reduced pollution, more jobs to go round and no housing shortage!

The University Of East Anglia hasn't thought this through properly. They've been looking at the wrong animal!

Reply to this Topic
crawsue

Aug 09

crawsue says:

Hit a roe deer

last summer while doing 30mph in my car,came from behind a hedge,no chance to avoid it. It barrel rolled a couple of times then jumped to it's feet and ran off. Car was undamaged! A week later,while out on the 'bike St 1050, one jumped right over a 6 foot high field hedge between me and my mate, sh*t myself! Can't get the idea out of my napper now, cos if you hit one at speed...especially a Red deer up here in Scotland, it will be game over. A cull is needed. BTW, this is not just a UK issue, deer numbers have more than doubled right across the Northern Hemisphere in the last decade. Forget eating horse burgers....how about a nice venison steak this weekend! Luverly :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Cull everything!!

+1 kl595 (although I have had a deer run out in the road in front of me, in the middle of f***ing Watford). The point of a cull is to prevent the environment being overwhelmed by a particular species. Apparently if deer are "left unchecked they threaten our woodland biodiversity".  What about when people are left unchecked? We threaten the quality of everything, but apparently we make the rules and aren't subject to them.

If only the accepted solution to all road safety problems was to have a cull of the major groups of potential offenders. We could cull young drivers, old drivers, HGV drivers, taxi drivers...

Hang on, what am I saying? It should be the person/thing that typically gets run over that should be culled, to prevent them from being run over. So deer, pheasants, cyclists, schoolchildren...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices