Skip to content

Discuss This Deer threat to road safety General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Deer threat to road safety

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Deer threat to road safety

There are more deer in the UK than at any time since the Ice Age, according to a study highlighting the threat to road safety. Deer populations need to be culled by as much as 60% just to keep numbers stable, according to research by the University of East Anglia. A spokeswoman for the university said: “In the absence of natural...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 09:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I had a

haunch you did.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Nope never ridden through Thetford Forest. As its name suggests its a forest, so I leave it to the forest creatures to populate. Equally, you can ride through the New Forest and hit a horse of ride across Dartmoor and hit a sheep or a pony.

It's not about tree huggers and toffs either but it is about having an understanding  for your natural environment. If humans keep building and expanding towns and building roads which in turn creates islands of wildlife, then it is only a matter of time before they come into conflict with nature. We need to embrace nature and not kill it because it poses, what humans perceive, a threat. 

Do a scientific study to see the impact of deer on the natural landscape by all means but don't use a potential threat to road users as an argument for a cull when there are far greater dangers faced by road users everyday. 

Reply to this Topic
ExiledRedBaron

Jul 09

Deer Threat to Road Safety

I've been living in Germany for >30 years. The total number of road accidents involving deer and wild boar is around 250,000 (!!) per year. However the great majority of these accidents occur when it's dark or around dawn. Hence don't ride your bike when it's dark and you'll be OK - I saw one single such incident in the day time in >30 years.....

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

kl595

I once did a "Tour" on Dartmoor and hit a "Tor", rode off pretty "Sheepish".

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

exiled red baron

"The total number of road accidents involving Red Deer and Wild Boar is around 250000(!!) per year". Fuck me... Germany lets them critters drive?????

Reply to this Topic
yammy7r

Apr 09

yammy7r says:

To many humans in this world, lets kill a few million of them.

Signed Rudolf

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

Why

Locally we have signs to highlight areas where such a wildlife risk exists and I'm sorry but if a motorists doesn't take the sign seriously and drive accordingly then they deserve to be in an accident. If they do spread diseases then that should be the only reason for a cull of any kind but should only target infected animals.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Yep I can just see it now

A multi million quid unit all kitted out in full elf n safety gear a deer cordinater on £45k ( with company car )all funded by cops budget ( our council tax )and probably no deers keed ofcourse !

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Interesting stuff

I've lived in east sussex all my life, ride 11-12000 miles a year, do roughly the same in the van and have spent many many hours mountainbiking on the southdowns, but rarely see deer. I did hit one about 10 years ago in a van, but it wasn't serious and the deer walked away. I know a guy who got lymes disease through mountainbiking. Very nasty, well worth avoiding.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Therford Forest

There are many ROADS that criss cross Thetford Forest, INCLUDING main "A" roads.  Unfortunately, deer do "come out of nowhere" so saying you should drive accordingly is not the answer.

In a car, having your front fog lights on helps a little, as they light up the sides of the roads.

I think the main objection is because they are cute, fwuffy animals. But they are no different to sheep, cows and squirrels. They're damned tasty.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices