Skip to content

Discuss This Deer threat to road safety General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Deer threat to road safety

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Deer threat to road safety

There are more deer in the UK than at any time since the Ice Age, according to a study highlighting the threat to road safety. Deer populations need to be culled by as much as 60% just to keep numbers stable, according to research by the University of East Anglia. A spokeswoman for the university said: “In the absence of natural...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 09:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

So much nonsense written here,

and not all of it tongue in cheek.

Up here in the wilds of Scotland, the gamekeepers and Ghillies have been fighting Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH), a government Quango, for years about this. SNH want massive culls, not helped by so-called conservation groups like the John Muir Trust who have been buying up large tracts of land and then systematically attempting to cull all of the deer to protect their newly planted trees.

Also not helping are some of the new, usually foreign, landowners who have a Bambi fixation, and suspend deer shooting on estates that have had it for generations.

It's not about deer on the roads, they're few and far between anyway, but about land management, and the conflict of interests that this generates.

The Right to Roam Act, coupled with fanatical Ramblers, has curtailed a lot of deer shooting due to simple gun safety and the deer herds being scared off by Ramblers in Day-Glo clothing wandering across the hills.  So, in recent years, some of the seasonal culling that was done has lost it's effectiveness. Coupled with the fact that deer have no natural predators (because we shot all of the wolves) other than man, some mild winters, and it's no wonder that the deer population is getting out of hand. Let's not forget that of all of the wild animals that we eat in this country, deer are the only ones that have no natural predators.

The kind of deer massacre alluded to by someone else is just what the Gamekeeprs and Ghillies have been trying to avoid, but Forrestry interests and others have to be" protected". The thought of such a massacre is just what the government has been trying to avoid, (just look at what happened over the proposed Badger cull) as they might lose votes. Chuck in a "Road Safety" element, and you get the likes of BRAKE on board.

Responsible Ghillies ensure that whoever is shooting can actually hit a target, and will test them on a range before they take them up into the hills on a stalk. They know full well that if a shooter (usually a paying guest) injures a deer, it is the Ghilie that has to track it down and despatch it, let alone the suffering for the animal. But paying guests help finance the running of the estate, and some landowners are getting less picky about who shoots on their land. It can all get ugly very quickly, and some animal rights groups are quite right to bring this to public attention. If an all out cull is called for, you can guarantee that there will be some cowboys out there with a firearms licence who will get in on the act, and this will attract the usual animal rights loonies with their video cameras to record all the sordid details of wounded and mutilated animals,  there will be a public outcry and it will all have to stop.

Ten years down the line we will have to repeat the cycle.

I'm still waiting for the call to cull Urban foxes, now that one has attacked a baby.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Oh No!

I've just bought a Triumph Stag!

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

It aint deer

Its the herds of Bradley Wiggins wannabes you find 5 abreast on a blind corner or wobbling up hills or dual carriage ways the fucking arseholes. I killed a deer with a transit near Tonbridge 5 years ago, ruined the van and at the time jokingly said i am glad i didn't hit it on my bike. Luckily a friend of mine shoots , so we chucked it in the van and eventually ate it. Leave the deer be and go after the lycra clad cocks that infest our roads in gangs of twenty not giving a fuck about any one else on the roads. If you want to reinact the tour de france find a safer place to do it than the A2 between Dover and Canterbury and the A299 between Faversham and Ramsgate( A299 has a path next to it they don't use and neither do pedestrians).

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Mud Doctor

Nonsense... What ,On Here...? ........Nah

Plenty of  "Tongue in cheek"... "Foot in Mouth"... "Head up ARSE"...Not to mention..."Horse in Bullsh-t"...also your "Urban fox" is a myth..................Honda killed off the "Urban Tiger" years ago. 

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

There is no such thing as an urban fox. They are foxes. Unfortunately people in towns and cities don't understand wildlife and see foxes as intruders. Culling foxes in urban areas will just mean other foxes will move in. It isn't a sensible option. It's their land we've built on and our scraps and takeaways they feed on. The human population has increased and likewise our habit of creating food waste has multiplied likewise. The foxes are just making use of our wastefulness. Foxes also help to keep down mice and rat populations, so in a way they are actually doing good.

The logical solution with deer is to bring back the wolf. This will unsettle people as they see foxes as a threat, so what they will make of wolves and even bears Lord only knows. In the meantime a better option would be to take a percentage of the deer population and use it as food. This is done in the Royal Parks, such as Richmond Park on an annual basis and done mainly to protect the habitat but the venison finds its way to local retail outlets.  As long as the reduction in numbers is done on an environmental basis and not carried out on a profit making basis, then there is some good to come out of this, providing it is properly managed and doesn't lead to everyone picking up a gun and trying to make some money out of it........I think Snev is about to say doing it for a fast buck :)

The deer situation  is an environmental issue and not a road safety issue.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

KI595

Edit..........."Foxes also help to keep down mice, rat and baby populations"  :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cbxade

Mar 06

cbxade says:

Hooowl

Wolves,that's the answer. A natural predator is whats needed.

Keep us on our toes thats for sure :P

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Or maybe

just predator

Reply to this Topic
FADM

Dec 10

FADM says:

Deer Deer

Come on down to sunny Sussex. There are so many of the buggers its a choice between an antler up the airbox or the potholes. Two days past, middle of Uckfield and one tries to head butt a bus! My son had one jump out on Ashdown Forest. Just closed his eyes and slid along the carcuss and then changed his underwear! My experience with the little devils was just outside Petersfield on my way to BSB at Thruxton. I think it was waiting for an unsuspecting biker, so it left it until I was about 10 ft from its hiding place. Gave me a case of the old sqeaky cheeks. Sod the vegi burgers, lets have more venny burgers.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I must be blind or lucky

I ride/drive regularly in all of those areas FADM and I haven't seen deer on the road for years!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices