Skip to content

Discuss This Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi believes next week’s MotoGP test session at the new Circuit of the Americas in Texas will give him a clearer indication of his and Yamaha’s potential for 2013 now he’s back on the competitive factory YZR-M1 machine. Rossi and factory Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo will join Repsol Honda duo Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez for a three-day test at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 09:35)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

COTA..

..looks a fantastic venue and for me, it's pure Yamaha territory. 

It will require a nimble bike with a front end that sticks like glue and can run the higher corner speed..especially the Silverstone replica "Maggotts" section in the first half.

The back straight is short and downhill. The front has most of it's elevation in the braking zone. I can't see there being any "Honda Lanes" like Aragon, Qatar & Sepang.

Now that Rossi and crew have re-aquainted themselves with the M1, I expect them to start dialling the bike in quickly allowing the rider to concentrate on applying pressure to his rivals by closing the gap.

What better way to start sowing the seeds of doubt than to end up fastest at a level playing field, where nobody has been before?

Expect a big effort here and at Jerez..one of his favourite tracks.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

What better way to start sowing the seeds of doubt than to end up fastest at a level playing field, where nobody has been before?

Doesn't that depend on what program they're running to? Lorenzo is known for not bothering with fast laps in tests, he just concentrates on a set up for long runs, as at Malaysia, one of only two of the top runners to not bother with the last gasp free for all for a fast lap.

Not sure you'll learn anything from test times in Austin and I think Lorenzo is beyond having seeds of doubt sown.

How long does it take for a rider of Rossi's ability to 'dial into' a bike that is equal best out there? Marquez, never ridden a Motogp bike before and bang - right on it.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Funny how Pedrosa couln't get within 4 tenths of his fast lap time at Sepang1 once Nakamoto insited he concentrate on some proper testing at Sepang2..where in Malaysia, the track is coolest in the morning, not last gasp.

I'm sure Honda & Yamaha don't share your view Bulto, that they won't learn anything by going to Austin..and I doubt Lorenzo will be happy pootling around doing race simulations if the Honda lads are a second faster on a balls-out qualifying set-up either.

Believe me..if Rossi starts going faster than Lorenzo or beating him on Sundays due to genuine pace & guile, Jorge's face will resmble a bulldog's licking it's own piss off a thistle. He's been known to get just as prammy as Stoner where it comes to Rossi.

The Yamaha ain't the best bike out there..and if Jorge & Val were at Repsol and Dani & Marc were on a Yamaha, the season would already be a done deal.

..and, Marquez is a talent, he reminds me of how fast Rossi was when he first jumped on a 500 - without any space age electronics to help him out - let's see how he goes at a track he's never ridden, without reams of data to aid both him and his crew with the set-up. 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

eyesight troubles?

I'm sure Honda & Yamaha don't share your view Bulto, that they won't learn anything by going to Austin..

I know you can read Wosi, so we'll put that one down to a bad day...  I said you'll not learn anything from the test, as in all of us, the viewers. The teams will learn plenty.

As for Lorenzo being prissy if Rossi is beating him in races, I don't dispute what you say for a second, sure he will, but so will it be the other way around. If it wasn't, neither should be there racing.

Title a done deal if they swapped bikes..?? Both the Yam and Honda have their stronger and weaker points, both negate each other and in terms of a lap time, there's nothing in it. However, I'm not sure how Lorenzo would get on with the Honda which seems to require a lot more dynamic input from the rider than the smooth as silk cornering ability of the Yamaha. Rossi has recently said he's having to try and change how he likes to ride corners as there is now less edge grip on the tyres and it is not possible to corner how he likes and how he used to. The bike needs to be picked up more as you can't apply as much throttle any more whilst leant over exiting corners. If he thinks that of the Yamaha, what would he make of the Honda?

Why do I get the impression you think Rossi is the only rider in the world that was capable of riding a 500. It's not the fault of the current riders that the bikes are electronics laden. They'd have been perfectly capable of riding a 500. And you can maintain Rossi didn't have electronics on his 500 until the end of time. The truth is out there from Burgess' own lips.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Why do I get the impression..

..that sensible, well structured comments praising Rossi and talking about his strengths get under your skin and lead you to have silly little fanboy hating digs all the time?

With the information we get nowadays..of course we'll be able to learn some more about the relative strengths and weaknesses of our main protaganist. Especially if we're keen students and are able to use our intelligence to read between the lines, and not get caught up in the type of bullshit I've outlined above !!

You tell us with such conviction that the M1 & RCV are equal..based on what? What Nostro says?

No..it's just an opinion that suits your agenda. We can all see how fast the Honda is and how it now goes around corners too. If it didn't Pedrosa wouldn't have done so well on it as he's probably the least adaptable/talented of the big four..in my opinion of course.

Comparing the electronics on a 12 year old two-stroke 500 to the bikes of today, to once again try and detract from Rossi, just illustrates what a saddo you are.

Closed loop intelligent corner by corner mapping, T/C, launch control, triple axis gyro wheelie control, fly-by-wire fkin rectum control?

..versus sprark plugs, coils and a stop switch?

Perhaps you can dig us out this Burgess link that seems to be more a figment of your imagination than anything to do with reality that you keep referring to?..then explain how it's all the same as todays bikes?

You may THINK they'd all be capable, while spouting that the likes of Biaggi & Gibernau were shit competition for Rossi, but they did it..and so did he.

Dumbing down bikes means dumbing up riders..and who fked off at the thought of that then sharp shit?  

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Rossi the dinosaur

gaybarloitererasaurus

homosaurus

bonesmokerasaurus

Valentina the crossdressersaur

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

Ah the prattofprezels witty comments as usual

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

The gayest of them all

Little princesswreckedhole.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

ok Wosi

Maybe I misinterpreted your last comment as a dig at current riders and the suggestion that they wouldn't be able to ride a 500. You have got previous form on that... My response wasn't intended as a dig at Rossi, just at what I saw as an inference to current riders being pussies - you've form there as well... I've no problem acknowledging Rossi is no mug on a bike.

My opinion of the Yamaha and Honda is based on what I've seen during a season. The Honda had chatter all of last year and Pedrosa had to deal with it, so I'd say he's more adaptable than you give him credit for. The Yamaha was unaffected by it, therefore Lorenzo had nothing to interrupt his usual smooth riding style, no problems to ride around. No issues with tyre wear at any race that I can remember, whereas the Hondas did. The Honda was like a bucking animal in the bends at times and slo-mo's have shown the affects of chatter. Maybe the bucking was down to the riders' style, maybe that's how they had to ride it. The Yam is ultra smooth. The Honda may accelerate faster to the watching eye, but how much of that is down to the way the riders slinshot it out of corners. The two satellite riders last year weren't as good as the two factory rider, which may explain why you saw Dovi taking a Honda down a straight on more than one occassion and on others, not being dropped when following.

Because of the above, my opinion is that they are evenly matched over the course of a lap, the strengths and weaknesses of each cancelling each other out. But it's just an opinion.

The Jap f\actories were developing the electronics in the mid 90s - consider the electronic expertise Honda (Yamaha too) had from F1 and what they were doing with F1 electronics in the 80s, never mind 90s. I never said (just for you again) that electronics from now can be compared to the mid 90s, they were in their infancy then, but they did exist, anti-wheelie, launch, even a form of active suspension - whether they made it onto the bikes seems unclear, dependiing on who is recalling the period. Doohan refutes claims he refused all the 'gizmos', saying he tested them all (although seems to contradict himself at times saying they didn't have them, followed by if he felt they didn't offer any improvement he didn't use them. It was actually Burgess who said he refused them all. And this is circa '97. You can imagine that in the next few years they made advances with the electronics, so it's not hard to believe that the NSR that Rossi rode had some decent aids on it - There is an article somewhere confirming it had active suspension and that for the latter half of '01 Honda threw tanker loads of development at it because Biaggi was too close for comfort in the first half of the season. With the new bike Rossi pulled away in the title race and Biaggi started crashing trying to keep up.

I no longer have the JB link talking about Doohan rejecting the electronics but he was glad Rossi wanted them because it meant he 'got to play with all the toys' and I'm not trolling the net looking for it. I have got a link I kept from an article with Doohan talking about the NSR years and it's a good read which I think you'll enjoy if you haven't seen it before.

www.superbike.co.uk/viewers/viewcontent.aspx

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

saturn392

I'm sure nostro knew the brontosaurus never existed but maybe he's been taking the wrong "head" himself recently.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices