Skip to content

Discuss This Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Austin test vital to judge potential, admits Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi believes next week’s MotoGP test session at the new Circuit of the Americas in Texas will give him a clearer indication of his and Yamaha’s potential for 2013 now he’s back on the competitive factory YZR-M1 machine. Rossi and factory Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo will join Repsol Honda duo Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez for a three-day test at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 09:35)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

doohan and the screamer

It was the screamer which nearly cost mick his leg originally, but he still went back to it, thumb operated rear brake and all, when others were reluctant. I don't think he can be accused of settling for a comfort zone.

Obviously credit to valentino for managing to win on the 500 as well as everything else, and beating the reigning world champion alex criville in his rookie year. We will never know how those who followed him would have gone on 500s but it is perhaps harsh to criticise them for not showing their mettle on 500s in the absence of any opportunity to do so.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Apologies for being slightly ‘off subject’ but does anyone know when the Bridgestone contract is up for renewal? I think Dorna need to seriously think again before maintaining the ‘single tyre manufacturer’ rule.

I say this because since Bridgestone became the single tyre supplier, it is widely accepted that the races have become boring. Maybe Bridgestones fault and maybe not – who knows for sure? There was no doubt at the time that the single tyre rule was introduced that Michelin had certainly taken their eye off the ball. Their tyres were poor to dangerous towards the end and race results were affected because of that.
Tyres are as crucial to a bike as any other part but Dorna has not introduced a single frame/exhaust/engine/shocks or brake rule. So why did they do it with tyres?
Who is to say that now by opening the doors to any other tyre manufacturer that Ducati’s handling issues may very well be solved by sticking a set of Dunlops/Pirellis/ Michelins on it? As the Jap bikes seem to handle sweetly on Bridgestones perhaps this is to the detriment of the way the Duke performs. Who actually knows?
Since the single tyre rule we also now have multi compound tyres of 2 or 3 differences and who’s to say we don’t eventually get to a ridiculous stage of having 10 compounds across one tyre? Let’s get back to an open market and allow anyone to produce a cheaper and less specific more generic tyre that the bikes have to work with. All our road tyres work fairly well from -5 to 30 degrees so I’m sure there is a middle ground somewhere rather than have a Bridgestone only working at its optimum with a 5 degree window.

If Suzuki do produce a Motogp bike and go to a few tests, why don’t Dorna allow an open tyre test for the bike and give the other manufacturers a chance? I also reckon the other manufacturers may be able to supply product at a lower cost than Bridgestones.

Reply to this Topic
glm7354

Mar 13

glm7354 says:

Honda and Doohan have made a very very good bike and when Honda decided, gave the top bike to Rossi and of course he won.Honda wanted Rossi Champioship. not Barros or Capirossi.Does anyone remember the Ponshonda of Barros and Capirοosi couldn't pass the NSR of Rossi in the straight and they passed him in the brakes.The first year of fourstroke the 5c honda was light years above of the 2stroke Barros's NSR.Honda was choose Rossi because he was commercial than  Barros or Capirossi to win the champion.He was and he's talent but ,many of his wins was Hondas wins not Rossi wins.When he goes to Yamaha, Honda haven't another top rider (Hayden was for sale more bike in USA, and Pedrosa was Repsol choice) and don' t forget that took with him all the mechanicals of Honda's garage.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

Racingfan99...

Couldn't agree more! I'm certain the performance of some bikes / riders would improve with open choices and therefore testing of different boots would make the racing a lot closer?? As usual, $$ talks?

Not a fan of the rule in WSB & BSB either!!

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Really glm

Sounds like a bunch of hate filled rambling shite if you ask me. Go on, ask me what I think.

Here's a thought for you. Maybe Honda gave Rossi the best bike they could because he'd just won the 250 title beating Capirossi by 100 points. As for Barros, well the year Rossi was winning the 250 title, Barros was finishing 9th in the 500 class. Not exactly staking a claim for a factory ride.

Hardly conspiracy theory ground we're on here is it?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

honda's rookie year

They did give rossi a good bike in 2000 glm, and he ended up with jerry burgess as crew chief, but I agree with dogbert this was largely because of his performances in the lower classes and because they correctly thought him to be their future. They were also repsol honda then, and I don't think there is any reason to suppose they didn't back their main factory rider, the defending world champion alex criville strongly; for whatever reason he didn't prosper, and seemed to develop the bike backwards rapidly, whilst rossi and jb started to go forward with the bike particularly in the second part of the season. With the 500s, if not quite so much by then, the bike was often the opponent and not just the other riders, and rossi can be given nothing but praise for coming to grips with the nsr500 against more experienced riders at a young age in his rookie year.

I don't know if anyone knows what honda's full motives are, but they don't appear to be strictly commercial anyway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Circuit of the Americas – Private test – Day 1 results:

1. Marc Márquez – Repsol Honda Team – 55 laps – 2’04.619

2. Dani Pedrosa – Repsol Honda Team – 59 laps – 2’05.047

3. Jorge Lorenzo – Yamaha Factory Racing – 54 laps – 2’05.291

4. Stefan Bradl – LCR Honda MotoGP – 50 laps – 2’06.053

5. Valentino Rossi – Yamaha Factory Racing – 68 laps – 2’06.507

Reply to this Topic