Skip to content

BMW New BMW F800GT first ride F800GT

You are in... Forums > BMW > F800GT > New BMW F800GT first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW F800GT first ride

BMW’s new middleweight tourer, the F800GT, is currently being put through its paces for the first time by MCN’s Andy Downes. These are his first impressions: “We’ve done around 100 miles so far through Hertfordshire and into Suffolk on mostly wet and slimy roads but the new BMW is proving perfect for the conditions. It has ABS as standard and our...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 13:24)

Post a message in F800GT

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

in other words

its just another boring commuter bike!

Reply to this Topic
DrAtsab

Jul 09

DrAtsab says:

F800GT

I've had my F800GT for only a few days. My boring commute takes me over unlit, narrow and twisty side roads peppered with holes (the pussyboy sports bike riders only dare to ride these roads when the sun is shining), onto poor quality twisty A roads that take me into suburbs, and then a gradual grind into city centre. On the way back it's motorway and then unlit back roads again. Compared to my previous bikes it glides along, quite lovely in fact. The nice things about the engine are that you don't have to change down a gear to overtake, plus the fuel economy is outstanding. I'd rather have a boring commute on this than in a metal cage.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Sort of want

It still fell out of the ugly tree, but this time it didn't hit every branch on the way down.

They're having a laugh with the price of the extras, but then it's BMW, they always do.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

F800GT

The Brain says "This is a pretty good concept", saw it at the NEC last year but it was probably "Unveiled" at the MCN Show a few weeks back. For those who want a sensible do it all comfy economical Sports tourer it really does make a lot of sense. Looks wise, it is better than the previous bike (IMHO). A bit more power and a bit more Fairing Protection have turned it into a tempting all round capable Bike. I will test ride one to see what my heart says.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

i wanted the f800r, and was close to getting one, but iv heard far too many horror stories of people having random things go wrong with it for no apparent reason with few miles on the clock, also even the idea of the indicators pisses me off

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

That fuel filler cap must be a bugger to get at when you have throw-overs on and is it just coincidence that an ad for the Triumph Tiger 800 keeps popping up on this page?

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

unhappy

Like this bike but cant see it at the scottish bike show , as bmw cant be arsed showing up , so doubt I would consider a beemer if thats how they feel about scotland

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

ST800

I like this bike as BMW have redesigned the fairing/tank and it now looks bolder, even dare i say it aggresive.

Two things i wanted and hoped to see were USD forks with radial calipers( sorry but it would have finished the looks off) and some sort of belly fairing to help keep s*** and crud from pipes and lower extremities.

BMW , please rectify this. Ty.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Nice....But!!

The bike is by far the better looking so less of the Andy Downes promotion please.

This is what Triumph should make and have been waiting five years up to now.Just imagine an extra "Pot" in their = extra horses,better suspension and lighter (maybe),ok i'll sacrifice the BMW finish but get better reliability and cheaper too.How much longer Triumph?.

I do rather like this though but a few things give me concern,vibration from the Twin, a bit down on power,horror stories about reliability and are they going to whack up the price cos it has a GT badge

Reply to this Topic
olgreyken

Feb 09

olgreyken says:

Right size but reliability?

I quite liked this bike at the NEC, right size (physically), not too heavy - but could be lighter. However BMW do seem to have an issue with electrical reliability in its can-bus low voltage switchgear. All the people complaining about it can't all be wrong. If there isn't an issue, BMW need to wake up and tell the world because at the moment, the bad publicity is winning.

Sprintman52 is right though, Triumph are ignoring this class of bike though they are very nearly there. Put some fairing lowers on the new Tiger Sport and you've cracked it IMHO.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices