Skip to content

BMW New BMW F800GT first ride F800GT

You are in... Forums > BMW > F800GT > New BMW F800GT first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New BMW F800GT first ride

BMW’s new middleweight tourer, the F800GT, is currently being put through its paces for the first time by MCN’s Andy Downes. These are his first impressions: “We’ve done around 100 miles so far through Hertfordshire and into Suffolk on mostly wet and slimy roads but the new BMW is proving perfect for the conditions. It has ABS as standard and our...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 13:24)

Post a message in F800GT

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

olgreyken!

I'm sure if you keep your eye on Skidmarx, Pyramid etc, I'm sure they will make what you are asking for in the near future!

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

My take on the F800GT

I had a test ride on the F800GT this afternoon and I loved it.  I disagree with Andy's comment about it not being exciting to ride!  Judged on its own merit against its peers and not an S1000R then I think its great!  Engine is grunty and fast enough to be fun and engaging without becoming a handful in the slippery conditions.  Engine excellent, handling brilliant, brakes top dollar, comfy, well priced for a beemer, economical.  Only real downside was a heavy clutch.  If I'd test rode this instead of the 800GS, I'd now be riding an 800GT instead of a Versys (which to be fair is a very good bike as well, just not as polished all round)

In my opinion though, despite all the praise lavished on it, ESA does not make enough of a difference to us mere mortal riders to justify the price tag.

Reply to this Topic
stuarthw

Sep 09

stuarthw says:

Some sensible contributions here. ( for a change !)The bike has enough power for most riders , it looks the part and has enough comfort for long distance runs. What more could you want ? As Sprintman pointed out , Triumph would sell heaps with a triple version of this bike. BMW have done a fantastic job and with the astounding economy of this engine I'd be tempted to buy one this Summer.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

One competitor this bike may have is the new Chinese built CF Moto 650 TR which has had rave reviews and is nearly 3k cheaper than this BM, and the CF has built in panniers whereas they are extras on the BM making the CF an even better bargain. We will have to wait for proper tests when they are available to see if the reviews are justified.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

R U SRS, Steve?

As ropey as BMW's build quality is, one "rave" review of the CF Moto reports a failed / replaced clutch cable, front and rear brake lines, oil pressure sensor (twice), engine gasket, speedo, and leaky luggage box, all within the first 4100km. At least with a BMW you'll be given tea and biscuits while you wait.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Well, they loved it in Motorcycle Sport. As I said, we will have to wait for more in-depth tests in the usual mags. And whats SRS?

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

i might be being a bit dim, but what's the actual difference between this f800gt and an f800st?

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Chinese built CF Moto 650 TR. I hope your not serious steve. The Chinese are improving but still are no where near jap or european bikes. In 5 or 10 years they might be and it could be the death of some european or japanese brands. I would hate to see a world without Ducati, Triumph, MV and would also miss Kawasaki or suzuki. The cf moto might be almost 3 grand cheaper today but could cost alot more to the bike industry.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

daveire!

Are you old enough to remember how people sneered at Jap bikes in the sixties? We could be seeing it happen all over again. Read the report in Motorcycle Sport (if you live in the UK) and make your own mind up. Sounds promising and its a category with very little competition. Why don't Suzuki do a GT based on the 650 Bandit? That would be a useful addition to that category. Not everyone wants a monster tourer.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I remember early Jap cars

For example, my dad's Datsun Sunny that spent more time in the garage than on the road.

And that's the risk with Chinese bikes.  If 95% of the parts work, that's small comfort if the 5% failure is in a critical part and the dealer just shrugs and says "Eh, that'll be 3 months on the slow boat, if you're lucky."

Lexmoto are dealing with this issue, granted.  They saw the gap in the market and started as a parts importer for the many brands of Chinese tat that other people were selling.  Now they sell the best of that tat under their own brand and carry a big range of stock for it.  But go off piste and you're on your own - I'm speaking from experience here, I had a downpipe rot out on my Lifan 250 and ended up buying a replacement direct from Hong Kong, with the consequent delays and customer / Parcel Farce raping.

But that's Lexmoto and 125s.  WK Bikes and 650s, I dunno.  They have plenty of dealers, but not a mention of parts on their website.  Maybe you'd get lucky, but I'd be sure to check out the parts department before even looking at the bikes.

The last thing Suzuki needs is another bolt-on variant of one of their aging model range.  They actually look to have dropped the naked and half faired GSF650 Bandits for the moment and are trying to fill the gap with bolt-on versions of the V-Strom and SVF (Gladius as was) plus the GSX650F Bandit-in-a-frock.  What they need is something that's compelling newer and better than the alternatives, not just a range of heavily discounted also-rans.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices