Skip to content

Discuss This Bike chooser: Fun 125s General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike chooser: Fun 125s

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Bike chooser: Fun 125s

"I’m 23 years old and have recently got into bikes having passed my CBT. I’m looking for a 125 to learn on and also pass my test. "I’m not looking to get straight up onto big bikes as I feel this would be unwise so I’m happy to stick with a 125 for a few years. What would you recommend that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 15:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Dear Ben

having gone through the Learner thing many years ago I look at the bikes above with a little bit of Jelousy to be honest, That "Prilla" is the bike for you if you have an ounce of passion followed by the "Duke".

Avoid at all costs...anything Chinese.... Piles of "Rip Off Tat"

Being sensible  (like what I is)  you would be better choosing the CBR125... the new model is even better.

In My Opinion.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

dt 125

if your after fun and good reliability get a yamaha dt 125 stopped in 2007 but plenty around 2nd hand, very easy to service yourself, much more fun than a 4 stroke 125, things to watch out for are basic neglect , check the wheels and spokes and rot on the back of the frame, apart from that check that the bottom end isnt knocking as this can mean its had a hard life, but to be honest there strong little engines, and much more involving than a bland 4 stroke.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Is this some ancient recycled "question"?

There's no point in sitting a test on a 125 now, it just takes the L plates off.  To get a real license you need to get access to a real bike, and you might as well do it sooner than later.

125s, especially the Toy Racers, are daftly expensive for what they offer.  They're expensive to buy, cost packet if you drop them, and insurance is also surprisingly steep - and you may not be able to switch the policy to a real bike.

You're just wasting time and money on a tiddler these days. If you have another option, take it.

Reply to this Topic
TomHiorns

Mar 13

TomHiorns says:

Dear Ben,

I was in your position 18 months ago, after a year of riding a 125 I was a confident rider and frankly bored and sick of my 125 even though I loved it to start with. I bought a brand new bike on finance (i'm embarrassed to say what it was) for two and half k and regret it ever since, there is no need to spend that much money, I'm still tied down by the dept, as what ever you buy you will want to upgrade in a year or two if you want to carry on riding. Also I would say 500cc/600cc feels absolutlutely huge for the first few hours your on it but after that they are so much nicer to ride, not just far quicker but they also feel much smoother and safer on the road. On my 125 I only ever road it squeezing everything I could out of it and its little engine but now on a bigger bike I could go much much faster therefore my driving style in normal traffic is alot more easy and more relaxed.  

I had brochures all over the place when I was looking for my 125 and I would say the CBR is a good bet, and most japanese 125s are a safe bet. The Aprilla will be quick but its still just trying to be a sports bike and making a lot more noise while doing so. I personally think the 125 supermoto/motorcross bikes are the nicest 125 bikes as they look like they are not trying to be anything they aren't. Everyone's price range is different but from the lessons I've learnt I wouldn't want to spend more than £1500 on a 125 and if you don't have the money and are looking at finance packages just head to a bank, they might lend the £1500 you need for a private sale rather than getting a more expensive italian piece of tat like I did for a grand more from a dealer! 

But thats just my opinion to     

Reply to this Topic
spinfaster

Mar 13

spinfaster says:

An often overlooked 125 that I learnt on was a Honda CBF125. Not the most glamorous bike ever but it would do over 100mpg, cost peanuts to insure and 8 months later I sold it for just £50 less than I bought it. It looked better than a YBR with its half fairing and was relatively nippy around the country lanes. Believe me though, after a few months, you'll want more power. When I passed my test I immediately got a 2003 Suzuki SV650S with just 4k on the clock for a little over £2k and havent looked back. It's not a screamer like a CBR/YZF/Ninja but it's plenty for now and because it doesn't have an R in the name it's about a quarter of the price to insure. Enjoy!

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

First bike?

What would I reccomend?

None of these!

These bikes are brand new and plastic. Don't use something like that for your first bike , if you drop it (and the stats say you will) , you will be glad you got something with as little plastic as possible. Buy something old and it is cheaper to get parts , easier to get manuals and easier to fix. Why get a bike you can't fix yourself? If you find yourself in the middle of nowhere you wen't be able to find a dealership ready to charge you to work on your bike because you can't. Take your time to learn about your bike.

Get something more forgiving. The CG125 is probably the best bike you can get for this. Low contre of gravity and seat height mean it's easier to correct if something goes wrong. You will also find that those bikes give you much cheaper insurance which is more important than you think! My premiums were £500/month on my NX 125!

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Perhaps

Perhaps the Sinnis Apache will be to taste if you really want a new bike:

http://sinnismotorcycles.com/motorcycle.php?motorcycle=Sinnis%20Apache%20125cc#

But I would rather buy something second hand.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Honda CBF

It depends how confident and how much money you have. I had a fare amount but wasnt to confident to start with. SO i went for the Honda CBF 125. Ive had no problems with it and you can still have fun even though its got a little 10bhp engine. Come off it twice and done almost no damage, parts are easily cheap. You said you dont like Up right seating positions. Personally I wouldnt go for an Italian bike, to expensive for just a 125 engine. Sadly I think its the same with the YZF. Id go for either a Honda CBR125 or for a wildcard the Hyosung gtr 125! Nice V-Twin sports bike.

Reply to this Topic
psychoSam

Aug 12

psychoSam says:

I have the ybr125 it's great and i luveee it, i had a lexmoto before that OMG was it rubbish, my bf said it was a honda copy. doing my test in June cant wait. xxx.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Smells of...

None of these are anywhere near as much fun as a good old two stroke.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices