You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > carb icing

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

carb icing

latest theory on poor running could it possibly be carb icing.All the research i have done leads me to think that this is what ias making my zzr100 runerraticaly at the moment .Just put some pro fst in tank and do a test ride tomorrow,heres hoping.Anyone had any experience with this product good or bad.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 March 2013 20:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

icing

Any tests or trials is a good idea to find a fault better or worse.

Has the carbs any heaters or coolant pipes around/in them?

If your talking low speed running up to 3,000rpm have you the standard air filter fitted?

After poor running is there a down pipe cooler than the others?

The spark plugs colours should tell a tale.  

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ZZR11 icing

The coolant flows around and through the carbs. There are 2 filters in this system IIRC. Sounds like they might need cleaning. However, Kawasakis are well known to suffer with carb icing, especially ZZRs with their ram air...

Reply to this Topic
wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

carb icing

there is a coolant feed to carbs but i couldnt find the location of the filters ,i didnt know there was two.The problem has been weather related before i fitted a kand n and after.Eatcs01 do you know location of the coolant filters

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Silkolene Pro FST.

I'm not sure these carb heaters are effective. Silkolene Pro FST works for my Kawasaki. My old 950cc Peugeot 106 used to carb-ice too. If the fuel additive (it's mostly iso-propanol, I believe) doesn't do the trick I'd say you have a different problem.

Reply to this Topic
wally34

Dec 11

wally34 says:

carb icing

thanks its good to here that the fst dose work .Its throwing it down at moment so test ride will have to wait.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ZZR11

I don't know where the filters are on the 1100. You need to trace the two pipes back from the carbs. IIRC the filters are NOT clear, but are solid black in colour. They are serviceable though.
They help with carb icing, but don't eliminate it completely...

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Carb icing

if it's cutting out due to carb icing, the simple answer is: give it 10 minutes (if you smoke, go for a cig), and the engine heat will rise to the carbs, and defrost your frozen carb jets (after this, it won't cut out for the rest of the journey).

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Carb Icing

The cause of icing in the carburettor venturi is cold moist air and the speed at which the air is drawn into the engine constant throttle positions are more likely to create icing.

If the fuel treatment and the manufacturers 'carb heaters' are not effective then a little less speed and some additional carburettor lagging is always worth a try. I have used pipework to direct heat from the engine exhaust towards the carburettors or you could use lagging round the carburettor bodies.

AdieR:- The first part of your post is correct that waiting will allow the engines own heat to defrost the carb/s.

I have to disagree that carb icing will only occur once in any given journey. It is more likely to occur at intervals on longer journeys or when the moisture levels in the ambient air is higher.

The icing occurs in the carburettor venturi not the jets, thus restricting the air flow into the engine.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Smidget

I stand corrected on the venturi - my error.

That said, I've never had a repeat problem with carb icing after the defrosting (whenever I've had it, it's only happened once and been OK after).

That said, it would be interesting to know what the "erratic running" / symptoms / patterns are, and the work carried out so far (not been on that much lately).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices