General What bike to beat traffic General

You are in... Forums > General > General > What bike to beat traffic

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

exbikevancourier

Mar 13

What bike to beat traffic

I was told some years ago that any bike over 500cc would out accelerate most cars, high performance and supercars not included.

My question is, what is the smallest engine cc bike that could this today.
I don't mean revving the nuts off and screaming around like a lunatic.
I mean sensible riding, filtering to the front of traffic and then accelerating at a comfortable pace.
Cheers for any info on this.
This is my first ever forum question so please be gentle on a noobie.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 March 2013 13:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Without

thrashing, you're looking at 500-650cc. Mine is a 650 but light weight and will see off almost anything should I need to but just a comfortable set off from the lights without any thrashing will easily put more than a comfortable distance between you and the other traffic.

I had a 400cc before hand and it needed a bit more enthusiasm with the throttle to achieve a similar result.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

A new Ninja 300 would just about do it

if you're of small stature :unsure:, but as you've said it'll be working chuffing hard, 500cc or above would still give you a fighting chance to see off all but the most determined family car driver.

Reply to this Topic
exbikevancourier

Mar 13

Stature

I'm a 5ft 10inch(1.78m) and 15stone 10lbs(100kg) little porker.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

exbikevancourier....

Oh... Try a Bergman then:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Hmm...

250cc 2 strokes of the 1990's would do that.

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Small is beautiful

For town work horsepower is irrelevant. More important to have something light and narrow that you fit through gaps and slalom through the moving chicanes.Any bike over 125cc will leave 99% of cars for dead from 0-30mph.

I used to despatch on a CB250RS and I'd say that was damn near perfect, single cylinder, torquey, weighed the same as a BMX and could do  ninety degree turns in heavy traffic with ease.

I'd be looking for a single cylinder bike or maybe a twin at a push between 125cc-400 with an upright riding position and narrow handlebars.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

spondon

you are so correct ant 2 strol\ke from the 80s 250 and above will out accel a modern 600

a rd lc would kill a gsx1100r  slabby over 100yrd

exbike its not the bike its techneike .. i could put you on rossi,s bike  and rossi on a 40yr old norton  or a modern Duke and he would still beat you .......its the rider not the bike

john a cb 250 you could accelerate away from the lights  roll a smoke polish your boots and do the crossword before you started to move :lol:

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

CB250RS

The CB250RS was a great bike, not to be confused with the smouldering heap of two wheeled excrement that was the CB250N Superdream. There was also  a more sought after version with a DOHC 4 Valve head the CBX250RS but they are rarer than rocking horse poo. The only weakness with the 250RS was oil flow to the head, as I found out when I blew one up on a long motorway thrash..With 25bhp and a dry weight of 128Kg it accelerated fine with power exactly where you needed it for town work. The same basic engine was used in the XL250S and that was fun to ride at town speeds as well.

I love 250/350 LCs but the on/off powerband makes them a complete liability in traffic.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Thoughts on this

whilst sitting here a little "Fuzzy":upset: My Suzuki x7 would tick a few boxes, the NC30 would be better but for the high first gear.... The RSV1000 would be  complete Torture, the CBR600f is great but again needs revs. My answer would defo be The Busa...... it's got, Torque, zip, presence and comfort plus when you leave the city it Kicks Ass.

Attached images:

1. 236  
  2. 539  
  3. 843  
Reply to this Topic
exbikevancourier

Mar 13

johnrogers

My bike courier days were done on a 900 Diversion.

Lights ALWAYS blew when it rained hard!
Was Bosses bike not mine so he had to repair.
NOT funny going round the M25 in heavy traffic in the rain and NO lights!
Luckily for me most of my work was van related.
A bike for me is a tool not a passion but I do like to ride in nice weather.
Looking at a bike to help me out getting a job.
May have to do some motorway work as well as urban so was the reason for asking.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle