Skip to content

Ask an Expert Emergencies ? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Emergencies ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Emergencies ?

Hi
I'm quite new to Motorbiking.  I was just wondering whether to carry spare bulbs and inner-tubes around in case of emergencies.  What does everyone else do?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 March 2013 18:52)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

spares

Hardly worth the effort chap. Bulbs can be had anywhere, and as for inner tubes.... haven't seen one for yonks. Not that it would be easy to change a tyre or tube at the side of the road. Just carry a breakdown card and mobile phone. 

For a long distance/holiday run, then just possibly a couple of things to keep you mobile... depending on the bike, todays bikes are pretty damned reliable.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Things

like bulbs and fuses are useful to keep.

I would buy one of those puncture repair kits (with tyre plugs and CO2 gas), rather than inner tubes (bike dependent, but most bikes will have tubeless tyres, and breaking the seal on those is tricky without the right tools anyhow). (The other point, can you imagine taking a wheel out by the side of the road to fit / replace an inner tube, with nothing to stand the bike on, and chucking down with rain?).

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Breakdown

Just keep your bike in good condition with proper maintenance and get breakdown cover either with your insurance or separately. I would advise ultrasealing / similar your tyres to prevent punctures if they're tubeless.

If you're going away on the bike, it's a different matter and you may need a basic tool kit, etc.

When I did longer distance commuting I carried a basic toolkit but only ever needed it when someone else's chain came off. Keep up with basic maintenance and you'll likely be fine.

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

yep

Hello AdieR.  Yes the cylinders with co2 and a bit of glue to seal the hole in the tube.  I've got one of those kits for my pushbike.  I didn't realise they did them for motorbikes.

Fair point about repairing the puncture.  I just thought that if you call breakdown and they happen not to have replacement tubes for you, would be quicker/cheaper if you had them, but yeah maybe not.  I see the point now of it not being worth the effort , it would just take up valuable space in your top-box.  The tyres on my motorbike are tube type , but as I say I've only ever been familiar with bicycle tires/tubes - so motorcycles probably completely different.
By looking at manual just specifies replacement tyre and says "tube type" , so I'm assuming they come together anyway.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Probably

be helpful if you stated what bike you have,so folks know what there dealing with????:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i think

he's taking the piss?

Reply to this Topic
StewyBill

Jun 11

StewyBill says:

emergencies

Four cans of Murphys,,fags,,tub of margarine,,pic of Kate Bush,,kettle,,,etc