Skip to content

Ask an Expert GSX650f difficult to work on? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > GSX650f difficult to work on?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

GSX650f difficult to work on?

I just had a chain and sprocket kit fitted. the kit cost me 100 pounds, and the labour to fit it cost me about another 100 pounds. All the way through fitting the kit the mechanic was complaining about the non-standard design of my GSX650f (well complain might be a strong word... but he certainly mentioned it more than a few times) and how he had to remove a lot of parts in order to get to the front sprocket. In the end the job came to over two hours long. 

Im no mechanic.  Does anyone with a GSX650f also have experience of this... and if so, why on Earth have Suzuki made this bike so odd and hard to work on?  Is it because they want to make us take it to a suzuki dealer?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 March 2013 08:49)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

GSX650F

This bike is no harder to work on than any other. The only problem is that Suzuki dont fit a main stand as standard but is available as an optional extra. All he would have to do is remove the bellypan from the fairing and put the bike on a paddock stand, then all the parts are easily accessible. Haynes now do a workshop manual that covers the 650/ 1250 versions of these bikes. The only problem i know of is if you dont park them properly the side stand will tuck causing them to go down. Mine gave way on my Bandit but i managed to catch it as i was getting off the bike, and my mates gave way on his GSX650F which smashed the fairng and handlebars as it hit the road.

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

that front sprocket

yep, he did do that... 

first thing he highlighted was the way the front sprocket was not easy to get to.

He did say they are very different to the bandit to work on. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Teapot

Sounds like your "mechanic" isn't a proper mechanic. So he had to remove a few bits?? Boo hoo for him. It should still only have taken an hour...

I'd suggest finding a different mechanic in future.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Teapot

I trust he fitted a rivet link, and not a spring clip link??

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

no impressed

im never very confident when doing my chain but have done all mine in about an hour !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices