Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati explains Austin test absence MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati explains Austin test absence

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati explains Austin test absence

Ducati has confirmed financial and technical reasons were behind its decision not participate in the forthcoming MotoGP test at the new Circuit of the Americas in Texas. The three-day test was initially privately arranged by HRC for Dani Pedrosa and Marc Marquez, but Yamaha’s factory squad will now also attend with Valentino Rossi and reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo. LCR Honda...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 March 2013 15:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

wosi drunk and abusive......

You can see his dreams of a competitive 2013 are already going up in smoke bluster is quickly turning to anger and a real sense of impotence permeates hiis contributions to the forum, mcn's forum dinosaur.

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

wosi drunk and abusive......

You can see his dreams of a competitive 2013 are already going up in smoke bluster is quickly turning to anger and a real sense of impotence permeates hiis contributions to the forum, mcn's forum dinosaur.

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Good point Alex

If Ducati have got part bins full of Rossi rejects that still need to be properly evaluated, you'd think they could have squeezed a local test in between Sepang and Jerez.

Unless they actually don't, and Gobmeier was talking out of his arsehole.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Bulto

''If they haven't yet identified the cause of the understeer, how can they create a new design that will cure it?''

I'll go along with that - however if Rossi is right in what he said about engine characteristics and power delivery then perhaps that's the starting point.  Although Stoner won many races on it he complained about the understeer and vague front end - 5 years later and there's been precisely zero progress.  It's time to stop 'tinkering' and make a decision.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

there is only 1 catch bulto

and it is catch 22  because going radical was likely the only way ducati was ever going to win; I think they probably had the most powerful 990 engine as well. They probably don't even have an opportunity for a significant power advantage at whatever cost in rideability under the current rules.

I think valentino is absolutely correct in regard to all current conventions regarding bike development/rideability. Perhaps someone should really insult VW; they could probably buy yamaha if they felt like it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Todays MCN..

..carries 4 pages of excellent reporting on the ongoing Ducati situation.

Birty does a double spread interview with Bernie "The Bolt" Gobliar & Neil "Monotone" Spalding writes technically about Pirro's "Lab" bike and how HRC got their bike to eventually start handling well.

Great stuff and well worth a read..shame MCN don't put some of the very good articles from the paper, onto the website.

Here's a small transcript of Birts Gobmeier interview at the second Sepang test:

"In the last two years, Ducati tried to find a miracle cure with Valentino that was going to make the bike go a second faster. If you have the address of that supplier then please tell me! We should never forget how development work is done properly and this is really going step by step."

"Last time at Sepang we started with the existing bike to sort out what we can do with that bike to improve it"

"There were limitations with this bike as we know, so the situation didn't really change dramatically last year, which was to be expected."

So..Ducati knew Rossi's GP12 was a dog but did nothing to put it right from round 1 in Qatar to round 13 at Misano, in terms of the chassis..and Gobby says this was to be expected? 

Miracle cure?..They brought absolutely fk all to the table for Valentino for 2/3rds of a season.

No wonder they exhausted the supposed mountain pile of bits made specially for Rossi at the first test, without any improvement.

The new for Sepang Two updates - repositioned ECU & shorter tank - were never made available to Rossi after Mugello where they were first tried as a combination, but the ECU failed just half a lap into testing.

Despite less than a lap on the bike, Rossi said he felt improvements but never got to try the upgrades again.

The new COG & weight distribution changes that have been credited with cutting the gap at Sepang Two..came from Rossi's 2012 feedback but were held back because they knew he was leaving.

Ducati kept them back to make it look as if they had improved after he had left..thereby seemingly backing up Gobsheisters digs that Rossi's direction was at fault and taking the heat off themselves.

What a bunch of fkin snakes. I hope they rot and go bust. I'll never ride, let alone buy another Ducati for as long as I live.

Burgess said, "You do nothing, you get nothing"..then they all packed their bags and went back to Yamaha. Hardly fkin surprising now, is it? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

MCN and the website Wosi

It's all a question of profit - they don't put the good stuff on the web because they want you to buy the paper.  Just good business strategy.  Just bought the MCN btw  good article.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Off to the paper shop for me then.

Reply to this Topic
willc955

Jun 12

willc955 says:

land of the rising sun

Just another story telling me what I have known my whole life...the very best motorcycles in the world come from Japan.

Reply to this Topic
crawsue

Aug 09

crawsue says:

How long will it

take for the penny to drop with Dorna? HRC were determined to make all track racing 4 stroke...win on Sunday- sell on Monday...especially in California. So now we have a "sport"(?) dominated by huge multi-national companies, where shaving 2 tenths of last years lap times makes for a better spectacle......and levering the smaller outfits , Aprilia, KTM SuKwaki etc into a more cost effective environment i.e. WSBk...except Dorna seem determined to wreck it as well. The answer is simple, but will take BALLS.... dumb down WSBk to "showroom +" level...no more 20 plus engines (Ducati, Aprilia are you listening?) and bring in a standard ECU with no satelite guidance in Moto GP. I want, nay, demand, closer Moto 2, World Supersport, type racing...I dont give a rat's arse about shaving lap times year in year out. Just give me a field where any one of a dozen guys can fight for the podium, not this tedium of Aliens on factory bikes that cannot be challenged by anyone other than world conglomerates. If it means waving goodbye to HRC (again) and or Yamaha to get close racing, then so be it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices