You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > damn chains

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

damn chains

rode most of the winter and kept chain well lubricated and bike looking good then in the last 3 weeks its been kept garaged 5 out of the 7 days and the damn chain has 2 seized links , anyone got any tips on getting the links freed up or is it a new chain ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 March 2013 18:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

chain

is it an 'o' ring chain

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chains

What bike,year,mileage and how far has the axle bolt been moved rearwards to tighen up the chain adjustment?

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

Xring chain

Bikes just done 12K and chain has loads of space for adjustment yet

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain

O & X chains are greased sealed,some how you have some failed,you could slacken the chain fully spray with say WD40 and use two pliers with chain covered with a rag to free them, if you see any rusty colour oozing from inside the links then the chain is goosed.

What have you been using to lube the chain?

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

lube

i usually use gear oil applied manually when required , but recently moved to a popular brand of white grease , guess i got lazy and have paid for it , new chain ordered and will be replacing it over the weekend  , cheers for the input guys

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain

Manually lubing a chain without a centre stand is a ball ache,greasing the rollers is a no no because it will not lubed inside them as oil will creep.Greasing the side plates is ok in winter.Scottoiler is the answer.

I would check both sprockets, more so the gearbox one for any wear because a worn tooth will knacker your new chain.:shock:   

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

with 12k

on your chain and sprockets. It would be false economy, just change the lot chain and sprockets. Some say its ok to turn sprockets and use the other side of the teeth, I wouldn't recommend this as it will shorten the chains life considerably.   

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

full kit

sprockets n chain all ready just need time to get it all changed , then maybe some nicer weather to get out and enjoy my bike 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chain & sprockets

That`s sensible,new bike or new chain are coated in a white grease,i use new engine oil at first (scottoiler should be better) with a stiff brush and ep gear oil later.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

C&S

If you're doing the job yourself, remove the front sprocket nut BEFORE you remove the chain.
Stick a piece of 4x2 or a jack handle wrapped in rag through the back wheel to stop it turning.
If the ER6 is like other Kawasakis, then the front sprocket nut is torqued up to 3 million ft/lb

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices