Skip to content

Discuss This Would you buy a sidecar? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you buy a sidecar?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you buy a sidecar?

What the hell is it with Sidecars?' asks MCN's Steve Farrell in this week's paper, while losing his chair-riding cherry to a Watsonian Squire / Royal Enfield outfit. Would you ever buy an outfit?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 March 2013 16:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

I considered attaching a sidecar to my Versys, but cost (and THAT look from the wife) put a stop to it.

Riding one is really wierd at first, but when you get the hang of it it can be a right laugh, especially drifting around right hand bends!  Plus the missus can go on tours with you AND take all the crap she wants to take no compromises or all the camping gear ever or your 4 year old daughter or your dog.

And for all the nay-sayers, they DO come off fairly easy you know!  Took me about an hour to detach, though to re-attach can be a bit of a fiddle taking best part of an afternoon.

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

Personaly i wouldn't at the moment but who knows what the future holds, i have seen a disabled guy using his sidecar to transport his wheelchair so he can still ride a bike & get around at the other end, i've seen another guy with his disabled girlfriend in her wheelchair on their outfit & my father, god rest his soul, raised & transported four children with no transport other than his old Royal Enfield, Sunbeam, BSA sidecar outfits.

There are far fewer of them around these days than there used to be & with the amount of traffic on the road there is probably a lot less point in owning one but like most other things in life they do have a purpose to the right person.

Reply to this Topic
Rotherider

Dec 12

Rotherider says:

Sidecar!

Err.....no.  They remind me of that hideous contraption on George & Mildred.  Just get yourself a car instead.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Not for me

I like bikes because they are fast, nimble and can cut through traffic with ease.  Attaching a side car ruins most (if not all) of these benefits, so not for me.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sidecars really had their day many years ago when people couldn't afford a car but they could afford a bike so to lug the family around, they stuck a sidecar on and had cheap family transport. That reason has now gone because cars are more affordable and more practical and there are cars around that are cheaper to run than a bike and sidecar. Quite why anyone would want to have a sidecar and take it off from time to time is a mystery because, as serious sidecar owners will tell you, you need leading link forks and different tyres to make an outfit handle correctly. Telescopic forks are not up to the job in comparison. Personally, I would feel unsafe on a vehicle that only has brakes on two of the three wheels and dubious cornering characteristics. The best one I've seen is the Ural outfit that has a shaft drive to the sidecar wheel and all 3 wheels are the same size as it carries a spare! Although it probably has about as much performance as a motorised skateboard. Again, like the Can-Am, its a niche vehicle enjoyed by enthusiasts because its different.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Never Ever EVER would i have one

i ended up being ballast in a mate's sidecar many years ago whilst recovering from a broken leg. hated it, you ended up having everybody's kit on top of you,you were always last to arrive and therefore never got a break, had a stupid flying helmet to wear and the bloody wheel always lifted off the ground.

they seem to be drawn towards hedges like its their natural enviroment, and were damp, cold and bloody uncomfortable. why anyone would choose to have one is one of life's greatest mysterys

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

what ahhhhhhh

WTF Side car do people still use sidecars, do shops still sell them, WTF....
Jeez I rode a bike once with a box on the side ,,, HOLLY CRAP…. I shit my pants on the first bend,,,” I would rather be beaten with a shit laden stick”  then ride a bike with a coffin screwed on the side,,, ….

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

A bit on the side

Just say no

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

It might look a bit odd on my ZX6R !!

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Chairs.

While I personally wouldn't attach a chair to my 'blade, I know they can be great fun. Thinking back  to when I was 17 and a mate had a BSA 500 twin with an open top chair we used to pile in and have a great time. Mind you it does take a bit of setting up and a certain technique with corners, but you can have great fun with them. What's the saying "greater than the sum of the parts". My dad had a BSA Bantam which he put a 197 Villiers engine in (made engine plates etc) and then made his own sidecar (he was a fitter), chassis, bodywork etc which provided cheap transport for the family in the days before cars were affordable for the masses, as satnavsteve said. It meant mobility as opposed to not going anywhere or relying on buses and trains.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices