Skip to content

Discuss This Would you buy a sidecar? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you buy a sidecar?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you buy a sidecar?

What the hell is it with Sidecars?' asks MCN's Steve Farrell in this week's paper, while losing his chair-riding cherry to a Watsonian Squire / Royal Enfield outfit. Would you ever buy an outfit?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 March 2013 16:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Sidecars

I've thought about it and even ridden road bikes with sidecars to see what they're like.

The sidecar affects the bikes steering quite badly (makes it heavy and causes shimmying over bumps), affects the ability to go round corners (ok when the sidecar is on the outside but less so when it's one the inside), reduces acceleration, the sidecars aren't really that waterproof and they stop you being able to filter.

The thought of taking my dogs in a sidecar with goggles on (and maybe scarves/ flying caps aswell)appeals but I couldn't be sure the dogs would stay put when moving.

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Sidewinder

I knew a bloke in the 80's who rode a Z1300 with a Sidewinder (remember those?) on a provisional licence. That thing was an unweildy beast that ate rear tyres...Good fun though.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Sidecar combination

A Ural/Dnepr 2 wheel drive bike and sidecar with knobblies on would be so much fun in the snow. Especially with bar muffs fitted.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Would ride one

for a laugh but wouldn't want to own one unless it was something unique and for custom-show purpose only.

Reply to this Topic
joshvesey

Nov 10

joshvesey says:

Sidecars are great

I hat to say it but I'm 24 and I've rode an outfit and it is great. To be honest as the average age of bikers is getting older ( no offence old folks),but we are going to see a lot more around, or if you have a family, why give up motorbikes when you have kids? Pop in in the sidecar and share the experience as a family. I think it's sad and vein of people that people won't even try it because they look 'stupid'. Well I think their silly for not at least trying. Thumbs up!

Reply to this Topic
azicat

Feb 13

azicat says:

I would ride one to try out (haven't done so yet) but wouldn't own one. They cost about the same as a car and take up a similar amount of space in the garage. If I made the effort to put on a helmet and protective clothing then I might as well ride a motorcycle.

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

some like em

an old guy once overtook me on some twistys between Todmorden and Burnley on the Burnley rd,he was riding some old British job with his missus in the sidecar hanging on for grim death. I was riding a Blackbird at the time and nearly crashed pissing myself laughing!

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

We are vulnerable on motorcycles, but people in sidecars are just at the perfect height to merge with a bumper, I wouldnt put anyones life in such a death trap...

Reply to this Topic
franksumner

Aug 02

franksumner says:

Would you buy a sidecar?

Flexit Problem is that you are only thinking rigid (fixed) sidecars.  There are those that bank.  Mine (a Flexit) banks with the bike and you ride it just like a solo.  With the Swiss Armec the bike still banks but the sidecar is vertical. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Always had a outfit & a solo  , it all started in the early 60s when you could ride one with "L" plates on with any engine  installed  . Rode through every winter and with the right bike /set-up & sidecar you could go where a car couldn"t  in ice & snow . You don"t need  leading link forks , sidecar brakes or any of that  ,if the outfit is light or  most  old  Brit. bikes will  ride straight & true without  much trouble . I rode a B.S.A. Goldflash for many years , reliable and would pull a house down ,paid  £ 135  off a local dealer in 1973 sold it 2 years ago for  £ 6000  ? . They hold their price , ultra cheap to insure [ my Goldwing with double adult  cost  £55 for cover with Equity Red Star 18 months ago , my  R80 B.M. £ 69 with Just  bike insurance this year , with sports chair .] loads more fun than ANY supercar , and the kids or grandkids love it . The sidecar will hold a car battery ,so run all your goodies off it , heated if wanted ,wiper , stereo ,toolkit  , spares ,jumpleads , sunroof  etc. Don"t knock it till you have tried it  , anybody can drive a car OR a solo bike , but takes real skill  to ride a combo properly  .

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices