Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice?

"There is a rider in my area who I see out often with pillions, he is fully kitted out with helmet, gloves, boots and leathers while the pillion only gets a helmet. It could be argued that this is fair enough when the pillion is an adult and is happy to ride in jeans, trainers and no gloves as they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 March 2013 16:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

I agree with your sentiment, but confronting someone you don't know is likely to be met with an F off or worse.  My dad used to take me on the back of his Commando with an ill fitting helmet, but that was the early 80s and we didn't know any better!

I bought my missus all the gear, even though she's an occasional passenger at best, and as soon as my daughter is big enough she'll get the same treatment (she's 4 and is always asking when she can have a go on the back!)

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

Actually whats the law on kids as pillions?

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

The Simple answer

is to give advice when its asked for. otherwise you just end up being another busy body, and nobody likes them do they?

There is a lot of idiots out in the world and the rule of average suggest a few of them will end up riding motorbikes.You've just got to accept this, don't worry about it, and make sure you're not one of them yourself.

If it still bothers you that much then befriend him(motorbikes are a good conversation starter) and let him see how you ride. you never know, he might just ask for that advice.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Pillions

need to have a Helmet and their feet must reach the pillion footpegs. as far as i'm aware thats the only limitions on who can ride pillion.

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Always

Surely this is an easy one...

It's always ok to "give advice". The trick is that the receiver has to know how to handle it / what to do with it.

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

Missing Link

If he's so stupid and irresponsible to be doing that in the first place he sure ain't gonna listen to some ' goody 2 shoes ' and take his advice. There's only one way people like that learn and that's the hard way.

Reply to this Topic
nworbynot

Dec 11

nworbynot says:

No gloves.

Saw a scooter rider not wearing gloves. Advised him that if he fell off some one else would be wiping his arse for the next few months.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

It's ok to give advice

Providing you're willing to take 'advice' back ;)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

OK

Lets get this Straight, If this really was a Genuine Question from a Genuine Reader.... Who the Hell gets on the back of a bike wearing nothing but a Helmet?... In this weather? with no clothes on? Any Pictures to prove any of these claims ????

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

First, answer me this.

What are you doing hanging around the school staring at other people's kids?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices