Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: When is it ok to give other riders advice?

"There is a rider in my area who I see out often with pillions, he is fully kitted out with helmet, gloves, boots and leathers while the pillion only gets a helmet. It could be argued that this is fair enough when the pillion is an adult and is happy to ride in jeans, trainers and no gloves as they...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 March 2013 16:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

A child travelling in a car under a certain height has to have a booster seat and is required by law if possible to sit in the back on the passenger side of the vehicle. So surely common sense would prevail that under 14's should not go on the back. If they cant touch the pillion pegs then they should not be on there and they should also be strong enough to hold on. If I thought it was unsafe I would have a quiet word but if its a gold wing or some other bike with an arm chair back seat, I could see that as a safer option but there should be a question of the childs height and age still.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

You should step in

My missus works with children and a huge part of her job is saying something to parents when their actions/inactions are having a detrimental affect. she see's the worst case scenario's often develop from people not saying anything in fear of confrontation or being accused of being a busy body. Speak to the guy, do it in a way that's gentle but confident. He'll either listen, or more likely tell you to f off to protect his pride, whilst a little voice in the back of his head tells him you're right. Hopefully he'll listen to that voice and you'll have protected a child, which is far more important than other peoples opinions of you.

It's not about when its right to offer advice, it's more about how you do it and if there is need. I hate the "good ol' boy" coming up to me in the Asda car park and reminding me about how dangerous bikes are whilst he advises me on being careful, but I appreciate my mates old man giving me riding tips (he's an ex instructor) even if I haven't asked.

And Bertieboy, what did a sportsbike rider do to you that makes you tar us all with that brush? pig ignorant prejudism if you ask me. Not that you would because I ride a sportsbike, so must be the antichrist

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

If you cant or don’t want to ignore it then its probably best to get a message over using people in a better position to give advice, like the school itself or even local community Police. Some people welcome advice, others don’t.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

There are only three stipulations for pillion passengers in the U.K. -

1) They must wear a correctly fitted, safety approved helmet.
2) They must be able to comfortably reach the foot-pegs (and if that means raising the foot-peg mounting points to accommodate a child on the pillion seat, that is perfectly legal).
3) If they are under the age of 17, they must have a parent or guardian's consent to ride as a passenger on the motorcycle.

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Be warned

On a similar vein I tried to give a guy advice on picking up his dogs poo.  I looked up at him and told him he should pick the poo up.

Anyway I should be out of hospital in time for Easter although with no teeth left the ester eggs are out.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices