Skip to content

Ask an Expert Can I Claim anything? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Can I Claim anything?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pacman1967

Mar 13

pacman1967 says:

Can I Claim anything?

Hi

I was told about this page by a colleage who believes i may have a case for a claim.

Here's the story; March 31st 2012 I woke in Hospital around 4pm. A young woman was washing blood from my face and told me I'd been in a motorcycle accident. I had three fractures to my skull and was about to be sewn up. I was not able to eat solid food (that required chewing) for about a week and was told to avoid sneezing or blowing my nose for3 or 4 weeks :unsure:

I have no recollection of the accident so everything about it has been told to me by others. It seems i was in collision with another vehicle, on a road passing a train station, that was not identified. An engineer rebuilding my bike later phoned and said it had marks on the right of the swing arm, suggesting it had been hit from that point. Devon and Cornwall Police sent me a letter saying there was not enough evidence to take any action and said it would cost £130 to see their report. I told Bennetts, my insurers at that time (but never again) about the letter but they didn't get a copy of the Police report.

That is basiclly all I have been able to find out about the accident. The effects have lasted to this day. As well as the three skull fractures I had a heavy concussion and spent 3 days in Hospital. I had serious loss of memory at the time and continue to have memory problems. There were times of extreme mood swings, which lasted about 6 months. If i concentrate too long on anything I still suffer headaches. My employer noted some months later that I had peaks and dips in my performance (but they were good enough to make allowances). This meant i was passed over for a promotion.

My insurers were next to usless and would not pay out for gear or look into the possiblity of tracing the other vehicle. The combined cost of excess and replacing my gear cost me over £850! I can still feel the position of the largest fracture every day (not so much pain as a dull itch).  My colleage, also a biker, said he had found this page usefull so I wondered if you could offer me any advice on making a claim for injury and losses? He mentioned something called MIB.

Cheers

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 March 2013 10:58)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

Collision with untraced driver

You may be able to claim from the MIB but a lot will depend on the available evidence, in particular the police report and engineering evidence. As your claim is potentially valuable I would recommend this is further investigated. Perhaps telephone me to discuss further. Kind regards, Andrew Campbell, Bikelawyer Solicitors, MCN Legal Expert. Tel 01446 794169. e-mail andrew@bikelawyer.co.uk

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

pacman1967

Call them they are good guys and very professional the service is second to none.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Collision with untraced driver.

I have no direct experience but as smidget says, ACIC is highly regarded here. What I want to say is, why the hell are the police charging to see the report!!?? Is that allowed?

Reply to this Topic
pacman1967

Mar 13

pacman1967 says:

Fee to see report.

here is a direct quote from the Police letter.

"Should your insurance company wish to obtain a copy of the Police report they can do so for a fee of £130.00 and cheques should be made payable to Devon & Cornwall Police and forwarded to the above address. You can also obtain a copy of the report for the same fee."

I emailed and asked if they could at least confirm the second vehicle was being looked for but they never responded, to them the case was obviously closed.

Reply to this Topic
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

untraced driver claim

It is standard for the police to charge for their reports. The good news is that in a MIB case the MIB will pay for the report to be obtained. As I have said contact us and we will help you. All the best, Andrew Campbell, Bikelawyer Motorcycle Accident Solicitors. www.bikelawyer.co.uk 01446 794169

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices