Skip to content

Discuss This First bike decisions General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > First bike decisions

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

THEB455INATOR

Jan 12

First bike decisions

I'm coming up to 16  and I'm looking for my first bike. Of course it has to be 50cc but the choices are nerve wrecking. Questions haunt me such as which bikes are reliable? Will it suit my needs? Am I going to look a complete burke on it? I am looking to spend up to around £2,000 on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 March 2013 11:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
peterford

Oct 12

peterford says:

First Bike Decision

We all had to start some where young person, and Im sure all of the Superbike rider's did the same. My first moped was a NSU Quickly 50cc 2 stroke that did 40 mph down hill with a tail wind if I was lucky. Some of those days were the best motorcycling days ever,esecially with a few like minded mates. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad bike nowadays especially if you have a few grand to spend.All the top "Brands " do starter bikes. Take a look on the web or go to a bike showroom. Im sure you will see and speak to other bikers that would only be to pleased to advise you. This is a big step getting your first bike please dont worry about your image just think of the fun you will get. One thing that worries me a little is the attitude of fellow road user's when it comes to slower moving motorcycles, the danger of the overtake, be aware you will not be the fastest out there so ride accordingly and stay very very alert at all times . Be prepared to learn all the skills required to be a good compitent rider, who knows in a few years you'll be on a Supoerbike like me and celibrate 50 years in the saddle.

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

try em out for size

get out there and sit on as many different bike as possible find one that feels good , dont just go for the first cool looking bike you see , id stay with recognised names , but some of the chinese bikes will be a lot cheaper - but remember they are cheaper for a reason and may be harder to get rid of when u want to move on to something bigger , good luck with the search and welcome to 2 wheels

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Em I remember

To be honest if I had to do it all again I wouldn't bother with a moped, you have to have insurance mots road tax CBT now, you are restricted on parking the same as a motorcycle, you have a number plate which will probably get you into all kinds of trouble and so on the list of reasons not to bother today with mopeds goes on and on, you will be a target for the police, not only for your riding but because mopeds get stolen a lot so you will be checked more so many reasons to save your money.

As for the fun aspect, well in the old days you could have fun on a bike but today the laws are so restrictive you sneeze while riding along and you may find yourself being nicked for dangerous driving.

If someone were to ask me now what I would go for as my first bike, I would go for a derestricted electric bicycle, for sure it only does 20 mph without using pedals and the legal limit is 15.5 but would the police really bother trying to knick you for 4.5 mph that I doubt very much especially as a none electric bike can do upwards of 30 mph anyway.

For sure the price can be around the same, the build quality can also be around the same but in 20 years when you have gone onto something bigger ie a proper motorcycle and you want to get back onto a push bike but not want to work too hard you could always dig out the old electric bike fit updated batteries and you are off again no insurance no mot and no licence needed.

Mopeds are a waste of money today and you have all the same restrictions as a motorcycle.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

First bike

Oh just to add one other thing, I doubt you would want to do much touring on a 50 cc moped, max speed is 30 mph legally, an electric bicycle may legally cut out at 15.5 mph but with help from your legs you can reach speeds up to 25 mph or more, the only difference between the electric bike and the normal bike is you ride it much easier.

My recommendations would be spend your money on an A2B metro or some other such electric bike at the top of the electric bike range, you will get around 50 plus miles to a charge if you opt for both batteries and give it some help yourself.

Mopeds nowadays are a waste of money the govt made sure of that. you want something you can have fun on but commute with without having to worry about parking.

You won't get that with a moped any more.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

Better advice

Don't buy straight away on your 16th wait about three months. Then buy a really cheap 50cc with one year mot. After 1 year trade in for 125 on your 17th. On your 18th with 3 months CBT to run you can train for A2 licence. If you are going to stay on 125 for longer, that's the bike you put your money into. Don't waste money on the 50cc.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices