Skip to content

Ask an Expert Passed today! 250 or 500? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Passed today! 250 or 500?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MurrayGunn

Jul 12

MurrayGunn says:

Passed today! 250 or 500?

Hello,

I just passed Module 2 today and am now shopping! I am a 44 year old brand new biker who wants a bike for commuting 30 miles each way in and out of London. I've done lots of thinking about it and had my heart set on a CBR250r (start low and move up gradually) but now I am thinking about a CBR500r as it does (Honda claim) about the same mpg. My question is; will I out grow the 250 really quickly or will it be good for a wee while to gain experience before moving up to the 500 / 600 bikes?
Thanks a lot.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 March 2013 19:42)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

Welcome, and well done. Personally, I would go for the bigger bike, lot less work to ride, much less tap dancing on the gear lever to keep the engine in the sweet spot, especially for commuting. Don't really see much point in the 250's any more..... unless it's something to do with the new license... An RD250/350LC, maybe,, :biggrin: but not a small 4stroke. 

Ether way, enjoy yourself.  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

I'd go for the bigger one

would be more solid, have a better presence on the road, and will teach you more about riding big bikes. price is good,as will build quality and i do believe Honda have managed to make it fun!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Used 500

or 600/650.. ..you won't regret it

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Ditto

Go the 500 / 600 / 650 route, remember its your right wrist that controls the speed and ride safe.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

250 or 500

I would expect your skill & experience will outgrow the 250 quite quickly.  Go for the 500.

Reply to this Topic
MurrayGunn

Jul 12

MurrayGunn says:

500 it is then!

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Having trained on an ER6 and grinned from ear to ear at the power on the dual carriageway I was concerned about dropping down to a 250. 

A 500 it is then!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

or

a 400. They're out there. As above I think the 250 would be fun for all of about five minutes.

400-600 is good as long as you're not daft with it.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Brand New?

If you're looking at buying brand new then the Suzuki Inazuma (or asthma or sumfink) is supposed to be a great little 250 commuter. I'd consider one myself if my journey's didn't take in motorways (lots of them). The new 500 range Honda do looks set to be a great commuter range and should prove pretty frugal too. While a bit bigger they still fall into the A2 category and should be a little more versatile as the larger engines will cope better at motorway speeds. The NC700's are also getting good reviews and will be all the bike you need if you're not wanting to blat about at warp speeds all the time. My ER6 Kawasaki is a great all rounder and can prove exciting and scary when pushed or act like a pussy cat and return nearly 70mpg (my best is 68mpg) when treated carefully. If it were me I'd go for the bigger bikes if you're commuting 30 miles into London because you've got that extra bit of power for dual carriageways/motorways meaning less stress on the engine.

Congratulations by the way!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices