Skip to content

General Time to get Angry!! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Time to get Angry!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Time to get Angry!!

Whilst we may have some of the "best" roads in the country according to our local rag (read poo paper!) we're just out to commit suicide

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10286485.Bikers_blamed_for_fatal_crashes/

So it's now all our own fault, talk about smearing/oversimplifying statistics GRRRR

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 March 2013 12:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Hmm Maybe

Each time I fell off, it was my own fault. :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Mistakes

Can be made by anyone, I've done my fair share coming off myself, some were my fault, the worst ones I had were not. Most riders are well aware of the risk should they make a mistake yet they still choose to ride. The thing that really annoys me is the slant that we're just out to kill ourselves, it's this slant that will be used to continue the ever increasing, draconian legislation until motorcycling is outlawed altogether (no I don't feel this is an overstatement!). With this attitude being promoted there will be greater disdain pushed upon us which in turn will breed more contempt for us using the road ergo more people giving even less respect to our road use and taking more risks with our lives. This won't happen overnight, just a gradual progression in the same manner that driving standars have slipped over the last 15 years or so

Just to add, I'm not a Marxist!!:blink::tongue:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Read the report rather than a knee jerk reaction

The unfortune truth many times is that bike accidents in rural areas often involved just the bike. In those circumstances it could be suggested that if the rider moderated their riding the accident might not have happened.

The report does specifically state that in built up areas a significant proportion of bike accidents are due to other road users.

Blaming mud on the road (for example) for an accident is an admission that you weren't riding to the road conditions. I went out on the bike last weekend for a bit of a blat but the roads weren't particularly grippy so I had to moderate my riding. I could have just gone banzai, had an accident and then blame the council that the roads weren't grippy enough but we all know that's going to fall on deaf ears and could result in serious injuries or worse

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

SMIDSY

vs IWLWIWG

(I weren't lookin' where I were goin')

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Thing is

everyone makes mistakes at some point, however advanced or experienced we are - and mistakes often lead to panic reactions (all too often, grabbing a handful of front brake). Overcooking a bend is a favourite example.

That said, the A64 cited in the article is one hell of a busy road, and lack of overtaking opportunities does lead to frustration and rash manouveres. I recall a bloody wagon trying to squeeze (force) his way past me at Hopgrove roundabout last May (trying to nip in front, and forcing me to sit behind him for miles doing 40mph). OK, the bike has enough shove to see him off, but having done 10 hours on the road coming back down from Scotland (and tired) I wasn't really in a mood to play either.

Realizing frustration was kicking in (and not wishing to throw it down the road an hour from home), I decided the best thing was to pull in to the next lay-by for 20 minutes for a cig and a bit of a rest before carrying on.

Might not be everyone's method (or favourite idea) - but then again, I'm still here...

I try (as far as possible) to be aware of my own weaknesses / limits / risk points, and adjust my riding to suit.

90% of road users (drivers and riders) will tell you that they are better than the "average" - they can't ALL be right.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Wrong heading

Probably & possibly not putting my point across very well (got other things on my mind when I first saw this I wasn't very focussed).

Some good points made so I'll try to make my viewpoint a little better 

What I wanted to point out was that whilst I acknowledge the point in fact that on rural roads the main cause of bike accidents are rider error (the degree of error can be infinitesmally small but the outcomes dreadful) I was wanting to put some perspective on this. Whilst not wishing to generalise I'm gonna have to to a degree, my suspicion is that had you change the vehicle in question to a car, the accident would quite possibly have still happened but gone unnoticed as the only damage would've been to the vehicle. Human error is a common thing including overestimating our abilities & whilst noone likes to admit to it we all do it. What I feel is missing here is the point that as riders we are already well aware that if we come off there's a good chance it'll hurt (I include the wallet in this, a very painful place for a Yorkshireman!!:blink:) if you transfer the same level of risk to driving a car it would be like having a 9" spike hidden behind the dashboard that fired out at the first hint of a bump in an indiscriminate direction i.e. it may hit you or not. This would certainly focus your attention for the first few time you drove however, people become complacent. I feel the way this subject is being approached is more likely to alienate & put peoples backs up, ergo they're much less likely to listen to what's being said. This I feel is why I feel a little frustrated with the slant in the paper, to me it still reads like we're an irresponsible/incompetent group of road users whereas I feel the truth to be that the majority of riders are more competant as road users due to the level of risk faced in the first place. The other side of the coin of course being that the very nature of motorcycling means it attracts the nutters (read thrillseekers/risktakers!)! Could not a more pro-active acknowlegement of these facts be taken into account when addressing the issue 

Got to go to work now! Still feel I've not hit the nail on't head. Look forward to your comments!:smile     

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

No mention of...

how many car/van/lorry drivers were injured or killed during same period or how many motorcycle accidents were caused by mud/oil/manure/foreign objects/badly maintained roads. Just the over dramatic,meant to shock the public figures making people think all motorcyclist are a danger to themselves and everyone else.  

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Ninjachica

Well done for being honest with yourself.

It's hard in today's society to resist to urge to blame someone else.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices