Skip to content

Discuss This Norton to expand into stately estate General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Norton to expand into stately estate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Jack Lewin  says:

Norton to expand into stately estate

Norton has bought, and is to move its production into, the nearby Donington Hall and surrounding 25-acre estate, the firm announced today. The shock move sees the currently Donington race circuit-based manufacturer buy the stately home, the adjoining, modern 45,000 sq ft Hastings Hall – which will become Norton’s new production and design facility – and the surrounding 25 acres. Donington...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 March 2013 13:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

Its like Toad fricking Hall!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

When are they moving in, April 1st?

Bought with deposits from folks without bikes?  Hubris, thy name be Garner.

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

Slumberglade Hall?

I think this could be a modern day Umberslade Hall, from where the great British motorcycle industry (or BSA-Triumph anyway) drifted into irrelevance in the 1970s. Norton should be concentrating on extending the 'bike range and investing in modern, efficient manufacturing methods. You don't do that from a stately home.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmmmm

I smell....... A Rat....

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

OK yah!!!

I say, what a spiffing idea!! I'm going to contact BAE Systems where I used to work and suggest they move into Blackpool Tower Ballroom!! If I was one of their customers, I wouldn't be bothered if they were building them in a lock-up in railway arch as long as I got my bike. If they spent a bit more time on customers bikes and less time trying to organise race teams and mansions, people might take them more seriously.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Rogerborg!!

Didn't understand the name Hubris (pardon my ignorance) so Googled it and when I read the meaning on Wikipedia, I nearly pi**ed myself! Bang on mate!

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

And there is still a massive waiting list. I hope this is not another 'pie in the sky' Garner dream here, a bit like he was saying they would enter MotoGP a couple of years ago.

Reply to this Topic
gilk

Feb 08

gilk says:

Lovely house, went there when I was a dispatch rider to pick up from BMI, it has a great road down to it, unfortunatly I cant see any Nortons getting all the way along it!!! Dont get me wrong I would love to see Norton make it, but after looking at it at the NEC, its crap.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

What "production?" You don't see any new Nortons on the road, but you do hear about delayed or non - delivery and cancelled orders. As much as I would like one, I really don't trust the promises made by Garner. He seems very ambitious but unable to make good on his promises. Yes, it's difficult setting up new businesses these days, but this move seems to be so far removed from bike manufacture that I wonder exactly what his intentions are. Perhaps he's the new Lord Hesketh, who had good ideas but bad business methods.

As much as it would be nice to see Norton succeed, I don't see much signs of it happening. Shame, I had Commandos "back in the day" and the new one looks to be a really good modern take on it.  

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Being realistic about Nortons, I would love to see them or any British firm succeed, but I'm afraid Stuart Garner seems to have too many pie-in-the-sky ideas and not much to show for it. His bikes take years to reach their customers and cost far too much IMO for what you get. I sat on one at the NEC and thought it would be comfier sitting on a bare frame and the seat was too high. And 80bhp? They took one to Bonneville and it couldn't crack 130mph!  And they call the bike 'sport'? Then theres the price which is more than most bikers can afford. Yes, I know its hand-built but I would want something really special for that sort of money! And the race effort with the Aprilia engine was just an embarassment. If things don't improve for his customers and potential customers, I predict he will be bust in a couple of years taking a lot of deposits with him.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle