Skip to content

Discuss This Rossi: 'Ducati can't deal with criticism' MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Rossi: 'Ducati can't deal with criticism'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Rossi: 'Ducati can't deal with criticism'

Valentino Rossi has revealed more about his fractious relationship with Ducati in MCN's exclusive new interview (out on Wednesday). The 34-year-old's comments throw new light on the team's inability to make progress back up the grid – a problem he says stems from their inability to trust its riders when they point out a problem with the bike. He says in the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 March 2013 14:37)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

C'mon Wosi

No helping Buell

The gammy leg I'll give you as I accept JB isn't a witch doctor, but are you suggesting he couldn't make the difference to enable Doohan to overcome Schwantz and Rainey - because I thought that was the whole basis of Buell's argument. JB made the difference with his ability to perfect the suspension and geometry of a racing motorcycle giving Doohan an enormous advantage over his rivals.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Not in dispute with this DF

doohan and rossi seem to think jb was helpful anyway. Stoner gives considerable credit to gabbarini, and honda have put him in charge of marquez's team, and many including jorge give lorenzo's crew chief a deal of credit also

The first half of your last paragraph is on the button.

Reply to this Topic
AussieInSUI

Mar 13

AussieInSUI says:

Rossi and JB did their job?

Perhaps Rossi and JB were brought into Ducati to prove a point? It seems unlikely but it cannot be disscounted as a possibility. FP did seem to be getting a little touchy when constructive criticism was directed his way.

As for Carbon Fibre? They should have tried it a year later or never. A ducati in steel in 2008 would still have won the championship. But that can only be a opinion as it did not happen.

Let's not forget here how small Ducati is compared to Honda or even Yamaha.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

it was

in steel in 2008.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Bulto..

For once, I am agreeing with you..although I do think you underestimate JB's input in terms of being a communication interface between rider and factory development department.

This is still true today..despite the fact that the laptop guy is probably more important technically.

The old 80/20 adage in favour of the rider may have diminished since Doohans time, but a top rider still makes the difference..just.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Wosi

You always agree with me and after you finish your therapy you'll be able to state it openly...

I don't actually underestimate Burgess ability at what he does and in any case, I'm in no position to judge how good he is at his job. It's not something that can be judged tangibly anyway.

I just dislike 'greatest' labels. For success, first you need a bike that can win (whichever way) and then you need someone who can ride it to those wins. They in turn need a crew they can depend on to set the bike up how they want, or help communicate to the engineering team what changes they think should be made to make the bike better. One of the things Doohan said Burgess was good at was stopping Honda indiscriminantly making changes to the bikes that weren't needed. A Honda trait of old with their very proud (or stubborn) approach that they know best. This was something Burgess picked up from Kanemoto I think who also had the influence to sway Honda's opinion and approach - although probably not every time, given some of the NSR offerings from the mid to late 80s.

Now, having read your opening line again, I'm going for a lie down.

Reply to this Topic
truducrider

May 13

truducrider says:

Adaptation Challenged

I think You're all looking to deep in the matter and are not focusingg at the root of the problem A Ducati will never ride like a Yamaha not even close besides a similar wheelbase two wheel liter motor powered 4 stroke race machines they have nothing in common from seat ride height and riding position which is a more agressive style than Yamaha is producing the fact that the frame and motor are all one piece which signifies its uniqueness as far as rigidity and the way it handles i think anyone that has ridden with one of the Japanese competitors for as long as rossi has would have just as difficult a time trying to transition despite the hearsay half truths and whole lies no-one but the ones present really know what went on and it does seem like there might be some bad blood there but nonetheless its all reletive what it ultimately boils down to is what i believe to be a barrier that Rossi Couldn't cross meaning learning a new riding style and bike feel to what very well could be that his requests were denied because they were not needed as Burgess had explained he wanted the ducati to be set up like his Yamaha was well there is one big problem there a Ducati is a Ducati is a Ducati and nothing short of complete cotastrophe as far as management succesion will change that the only way Ducati could ever be like it's Japanese competitors is if the company went under new management (which it recently has but to a trusted tenured Employee) where the new owner saw fit to completely undo The Empire that Ducati has ingrained in our society as a staple of innovation and creativity that revolutionized a industry and the sport of racing as a whole lets not forget that they were the force to be reckoned with (and not really all that long ago) if you wanted to win races, Ducati is who you had to beat period.now If some Vindictive ass came into power at ducati somehow and plotted to run the company into the ground where their new production models and Motogp bikes alike were just clones of the Competition then Rossi would be a perfect fit when that cold day in hell arrives I'm Sure He'll Receive an engraved invitation but the cold simple truth is Rossi and Ducati did not do not and will not make a sucessful partnership which is of no fault of either party you cant force things and you cant always get what you want cause what you want for the current application you want it for may just be impossible Cause Bologna, Italy will never be Iwata, Shizuota Japan or whatever that place is called I think that is the right spelling and location. all in all the companies are both great and strive for excellence in their own desings pushing ever so close to the limits of the rider the machine and the two as a whole Siply it's my belief that Mr. Valentino Rossi just couldn't adapt or maybe was just to stubborn to want to change from the style he has developed as a Yamaha rider and has im sure been perfecting since he started racing i'm not sure we'll ever know the truth but he was either too stubborn, too lazy, or tried and failed to trasition into a vastly different bike then what im sure he was used to thats all for now best of luck to him this season hes of to a decent start already rounding out the top five in the most recent standings as of 5-30-13 going into tomorrows race Gran Premio d'Italia which should be exciting as always but there is still plenty of more racing left and anything can happen

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices