You are in... Forums > General > General > Startup costs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

korkykat

Mar 13

korkykat says:

Startup costs

Looking into biking for leisure, also possibly for a couple of years commuting between London and Cambridge. I'm trying to estimate costs of getting started, avoiding buying too cheap and paying twice. Let me know how wrong I am (and I've literally never biked before, so I am basing this on the internet reading alone...)

CBT test, Theory and Practicals: £850
Insurance: £450
Mesh gear (good quality, full outift): £850
Decent 2nd hand 600cc bike: £3000

Experience: I've driven for 20 years and cycled a pushbike in London for 5 years. No accidents on the bike but am used to expecting everyone else to try to kill me.

My first post - sorry if I've made lots of wrong assumptions. Many thanks for any help in keeping the costs down.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 March 2013 16:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Hmmm

...you have got it about right, depending on what sort of riding you want to do will depend on how much you pay for a good second hand bike. Sports bikes are fairly expensive (although coming down in price now) tourers and trailies are popular at the moment so more about.

Sport : CBR600RR
            Kawasaki 636 ninja
            Yamaha R6
             Suzuki GSX-R 600
             Triumph 675

Touring: Honda CBR600 F
               Suzuki GSF650
               Kawasaki ER600

Trailies: KTM, Ducati (expensive) BMW,

Hope this helps.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:             

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Commuting

Hi Korky,

Cost in two sets of bike gear it's a pig to get kit dry for the next day so you are better off have two sets of everything. Also budget for a womble suit it will keep most of the road crap off you. And don't forget some plan to maintain the bike ie shed/garage with sufficent space to work basic tool set.

Apart from that have fun nothing better than zooming around on a bike  

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

woo hoo

another has seen the light and come over to the dark side:smile

That didn't make sense did it???

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't forget

about security, esp as you'll be heading into London: a decent chain and a solid object to tie your bike to will be a good friend here - bikes are incredibly easy to steal.

I have 2 chains (£140 each) joined together (for length) - £280 may be a fair chunk of cash - but it's preserving a £3,000 bike. And tie the chain (as far as possible) through a structural part (frame or swingarm) - a couple of burly blokes will remove a wheel and lift it into a van quite quickly.

A cover can help too - it makes the bike less identifiable (although a determined, professional thief will have it whatever you do).

Don't know off-hand the distance of your commute, but if it's a significant mileage then be aware of servicing costs; decent tyres aren't cheap, and nor are chains / sprockets (although looked after, good chains & sprockets are capable of 20 or 30k miles).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices