Skip to content

Ask an Expert 2004 R1 Rattle ??? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > 2004 R1 Rattle ???

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

neilyp

Jul 12

neilyp says:

2004 R1 Rattle ???

I bought and R1 before xmas and have only rode it a few times, but i have noticed it has a top end rattle that can be felt through the bars.  Ive mentioned it to a few people and although they couldnt hear it one has now noticed it as well. Its got 20k on the clock.

One person had already suggested a lazy hydraulic cam chain tensioner but i could do with some more ideas before i start looking at it,

Any help please

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 March 2013 15:39)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rattle

The cam chain tensioner is a sprung loaded one,if you decide to check it remember to withdraw the pin/piston first and hold it with a screwdriver before removing the assembly from the engine. 

The chain & sprockets should be checked.

Also is that the true mileage because cam/valve clearances are due at 25 thou? 

Reply to this Topic
neilyp

Jul 12

neilyp says:

Cam / valves

ye im certain its a true mileage, paperwork checkouts so short of changing the clocks then i guess it must be.

Im wont be doing it myself but will more than likely be present so he should know how to do it.  That been said he wasn't particularly sure what it was so heres hoping!

Is the cam valve clearances a major job? What sort of price would i expect to pay or is that all depending on condition?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clearances

It`s an easy job if the clearances are within limits,it`s when shims need replacing,this is time consuming because on this model the cams will have to be lifted out:unsure:,I think it`s the xj models where you use a valve holding tool.

kcmc or more active technicians on here will have more idea.

Also are the header pipes sealed and not loose? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
neilyp

Jul 12

neilyp says:

hmm apparently its a clutch noise.

picked my bike up from the paint shop and the guy who painted it thinks its just a noisy clutch.  It does only seem to be there when the bike is in neutral? Is this a possibility? And why would it make this rattle? I have had a look at changing one and it does look an easy.  Wondered if any else has had a clutch rattle?

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

clutch rattle

If the carbs/throttle bodies are out of synch, the clutch will rattle. Does the rattle disappear when you pick up the engine speed?

Reply to this Topic
neilyp

Jul 12

neilyp says:

Ye it does

ye it disappears pretty much as soon as you start moving, although my exhaust noise doesn't help to hear it. 

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

chatter chatter

Leave it till the bike is serviced then, unless it's annoying you, then get the the throttle bodies balanced......, OR, buy a dry-clutch Ducati, and fit an open clutch cover...  :lol:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Clutch Rattle

To test if the clutch is rattling just pull in the clutch lever if the noise goes away then it is your clutch that is the cause of your rattle.

Most modern bikes do have a clutch rattle and the reason is that the 'fingers' of the clutch plates and the corresponding 'slots' of the clutch basket wear. You could replace the basket and the plates but within a short period of time your rattle will return. So just accept it as a normal noise the bike makes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices