You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > man-hole covers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

davi82a

Jul 11

davi82a says:

man-hole covers

Why do they put them in the worst places. When u don't know the road and come across one right in ur line. How difficult would it be to put a layer of grippy surface on top during manufacture? Would be better than bare metal especially in the wet:shock: What do we pay taxes for

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 March 2013 16:22)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

ahhhh

That old Chestnut....... Because the Dumbassed, Couldn't give a Fuck , Haven't a clue, Brainless, Tax Payer Funded, Fat Pension expecting, FuckWits......Don't give a Flying Fuck and never have.

Now I'm Really getting Pissed.:ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Road

engineers are trained to think about cars, HGVs, caravans, etc but not two wheeled machines. There's a set of three covers that are not only not flush with the road but the road around them has been destroyed by winters. It's perfectly fine for drivers but for a bike taking the outside lane on that roundabout exit it's potentially going to throw you into the next lane as it's right on the riding line.

Road engineers only start thinking about motorcycles if they start riding one and realise just how vulnerable you are verses the road surface and just how poorly these things are positioned and manufactured. A byproduct of oil refining could be put on the top with gritty crap (a byproduct of waste incineration) to make them cheaply safer.

Fact is that they can't afford to do any of this nor can they afford to even patch up the holes in the hundred year old roads round my place. They were never designed for the stupidity of sat navs and their users taking HGVs down them, they were designed for the horse and cart with the occasional motor car. Our roads are so bad that I'm fucking it all off and going back to a supermoto as soon as I can.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Have a look at Get a Grip.

Don't understand links and suchlike but it must be on the internet somewhere.

Grippy manhole covers already exist but it seems that highway agencies are slow taking up the option. There was a petition around a couple of years ago but I've not seen anything about it for some time.

I'd like them on my route home from work. There's one downhill bend where cars like to pull out in front of me. To be fair, they have a crap view of what's coming at them. There is a huge collection of 5 covers and no way to miss them all. Such a treat on cold, wet, dark nights. Keeps me on my toes, guessing which car might be ready to jump out at me.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Covers

Manhole covers are (basically) wherever there is a bend in a pipe.  This (naturally) means that the bend is on a corner.  Nothing the engineers can do about it - sorry.

Grippy covers would be the answer - you would have to chase your own council to get them upgraded.  Good luck.

That said - I've not slipped on one yet.  I'm much more wary about diesel spills. :upset:

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I'd agree with ninjachica,

I've never slipped on one and I don't worry about them at all if I can ride straight over, even in the wet. It's the thought that it might suddenly happen that niggles.

Diesel is the scariest of all, but I always seem to find the slipperiest road markings while I'm filtering. Most disconcerting.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I find

the slippiest road markings to be when there's snow on them. Filtering is fun!

Then you hit a speed bump that's bloody painted white and come off.

STUPID PEOPLE!

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

bee is right

various European countries use the manhole covers that have shellgrip glued on top of them................clearly the biking community does not warrant the extra expense..........never mind .......if enough of us die or a couple of bike police hurt themselves we stand half a chance of common sense used:wink:    

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

OH I See....

Well What about putting the FUCKING PIPES UNDER THE FUCKING PAVEMENTS....:shock::winkie:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I'm Grouchy cuz....

The Welsh Won.....:ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r::ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Snev

They can't put the water pipes under the pavements, cos that's where the phone and electric cables are.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices