You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Bandit Throttle Issue

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ashley91

Mar 13

Ashley91 says:

Bandit Throttle Issue

I recently bought an '89 Suzuki Bandit 400, cracking bike with little problems except below about 4000 rpm the engine gives you nothing. Very groggy and slow to get going but as soon as it reaches the magical 4000 mark it goes flying. This happens in the first three gears. We've had the carbs off and professionally cleaned but this hasn't changed a lot. I've put 1,000 miles down in two weeks now so it shouldn't be an issue of it being sat around. Any ideas of how to solve the problem? Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 March 2013 23:51)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

groggy

Welcome Ashley,24 year old bandit,are your talking mikuni cv carbs? Any case the main jets start to come in at 3,000 rpm +,your problem sounds short of fuel on the pilot jets (mostly up to 3,000rpm) or too much unwanted air.

I would check if the pilots jets are clear (hope you have a fuel in line filter),an air filter fitted (not a K&N).

You say little problem :shock:.Running the bike is dangerous and will not do the engine any good.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit 1989 ?

Hi Ashley and welcome to the site:smile

Must say i would have to go with Jaffa90,does sound like the pilot jets are still blocked,did you balance the carbs when refitted?have you checked the carb slides are all lifting together?did you check the carb slide diaphragms(this is obviously related to the carb slides lifting together and the carbs being balanced)Does you bike have a RED camshaft cover?(if so its a variable valve motor)has it just started doing this?or has it done this since you purchased it? Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Japanese market bikes

The Bandit 400 has got a pretty horrid throttle response low down with those teeny pistons and late-80s technology. Originally for the Japanese domestic market it didn't seem to adapt so well to coming over to Europe and runs really lean over here, so try richening it up quite a bit. Raising the needles by one notch and tweaking the pilot screws should help. I bet it performs better once it's warmed up?

Reply to this Topic
Ashley91

Mar 13

Ashley91 says:

Thank you!

Yeah it's a lot easier once it's warm, still quite haphazard at mini roundabouts though. Thank you so much for all of the help, i'll start checking all of those things of the list one by one and see what kind of improvements I can get. Fingers crossed, cheers!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices