Skip to content

Ask an Expert Brakes ? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Brakes ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

StewyBill

Jun 11

StewyBill says:

Brakes ?

Good Afternoon from Sleety Sheffy,
now then,ive recently had new pads and a new front tyre fitted on my 07 Speedy(17 000miles),,yet theres still a squeeking noise when braking,I cant for the life of me understand why,,they cant be clogged already,and the brakes are effective,,need I be worrying about anything ?
Obviously I dont want to take the bike to the place ive just handed over hundreds of pounds to,,,are there any good mobile bike mechanics around South Yorks ?/

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 March 2013 18:04)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Squeeky brakes are good brakes,

The only problem to worry about is having hot discs(binding) after stopping after a run using the back brake only if the front are suspect and vica-versa. 

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

squeaky brakes

If the squeak is bugging you, try taking the pads out again and put a little smear of copper grease on the back plate of the pads (piston side). (Be careful and don't get any on actual pads though!!!!!!!) this should stop the noise!!!

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Copper grease

I`m assuming whoever fit the pads used copper grease,anti/squeal.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not familiar with your bike

but maybe weak / missing anti-chatter / anti-rattle clips or shims?

What pads did you have fitted? Genuine parts or aftermarket ones?

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Jaffa

Have you heard the old saying that to ASSUME is to make an ASS out of U and ME, :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Did the mechanic/shop advise you to

bed the pads in gradually over a reasonable time/mileage? ie. by using progressively more brake, for longer, starting off gently braking and letting brakes have chance to cool between applications? If not pads may have glazed a little, it might be possible to roughen up the braking surface of the discs with abrasive paper/cloth, sandpaper/aluminium oxide paper/wet and dry/emery etc, and also the same to the braking surface of the pads if need be.

As mentioned above also, it is usual to apply a thin smear of copperslip or brake assembly paste to the back of the pads, any anti rattle shims and any sliding or retaining pins, BUT this must be kept clear of the braking surfaces! 
If pads are not free to move easily in the caliper this can cause them to stick or drag, causing squeaking or squeeling, it is also possible on some bikes, depending on weather conditions of use to have the brake operating pistons start to stick, again stopping pads moving so easily away from disc when not braking.
Good luck :smile

Reply to this Topic
StewyBill

Jun 11

StewyBill says:

brakes

Thanks to all,,i,m not that keen on removing pads as Ive no idea how to do it,,the problem is intermittent,,so maybe it can be left for a while and see how things go.They work perfectly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices