Skip to content

Ask an Expert scunnered and now hate Kawasaki Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > scunnered and now hate Kawasaki

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

scunnered and now hate Kawasaki

bloody front sprocket nut still wont budge , even had gear used on tractors , scaffolding pole and all we did was snap a piece of 2x2 wood that was jammed in the back wheel

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 March 2013 21:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ER6 2008

Hi Jon66

Only advise i can give is what i would do in a home fit case or situation,thicker piece of wood if possible through the back wheel,the bike in neutral,windy gun, and propane type heat gun or something similar.Have everything to hand and ready to go,heat the nut on the drive shaft,this will help expanding it and most importantly break the grip and seal the thread lock has which is probably the main problem in the first place.Then while still very hot hit it with the rattle gun(impact gun air if possible)this may work with the methods you have been using before as long as you heat the nut enough to break the thread locks seal before proceeding.(if no joy take the bike to a reputable bike work shop)Good Luck 

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

PS

Oh,the reason Kawasaki's main drive sprocket nuts are so tight is because they had problems with some of there early models with the nut undoing itself and falling off.This proceeded in some hefty law suits,so from there on its been over kill with this part to prevent this happening again:smileunderstandable if you think about it.:winkie: 

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Been there........

Tried all the above and got no where:wacko:

Eventually took it to local bike shop, admitted defeat (oh the shame....:lol:) and they hit it with a windy gun.......undone 1st time. Since then i have tightened the nut with a spanner, bent the tab washer securely, and it has never come off accidently in 124,000 miles........ fingers crossed! Bike is Kwak Z750s, 2005.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Kawasaki sprox

You need something SOLID like a (trolley) jack handle. NOT a piece of 2x2, nor a rake handle DAMHIK

I did say this earlier.

PS. I learnt the hard way :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

cheers guys

im admitting defeat and booked into a Bike garage to do it for me this time  , i have never been so frustrated  , daft thing is the roads have been so bad the last wekk or so i probably wouldnt have used the bike anyway  , just give the wife an excuse to moan about me having my bike !:blink:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

nuts

may i suggest a bit of heat on said sprocket nut?always works for me in my job (car mechanic)

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

all done

wary of using heat on drive shaft might damage seal  , so took it to Hamilton Motorcycle services who did a good job and fitted the chain and sprockets for 72 notes , wasnt happy that i spent cash i wasnt expecting but at least its done , thanks again guys for your input :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle