You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > coloured headlight

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gordonglover

Feb 04

gordonglover says:

coloured headlight

i do not live in england and i am doing a tour of scotland this summer, but my bike has a HID gold coloured beam fitted , how do i stand with the law in england; am i going to be stoped every 10 minutes by the police, i also have a gold visor fitted to my helmet is this also legal or not or do i have to change these before i leave,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 06:42)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Coloured headlight and visor.

No one has answered so I'll have a go and bump the topic at the same time.

As far as the coloured visor goes, keep it but carry a clear one too. I do this while wearing iridescent visors sometimes and I haven't had a problem. If I got stopped I'd switch to the clear visor and be on my way.

Regarding aftermarket HIDs, this Dept of Transport fact sheet is useful up to a point, although it appears to refer to 4-wheelers because it requires headlamp cleaning and self-levelling.

Yellow headlights use to be on visiting French cars so although they've stopped using them I can't see it being a big issue unless it is verging on orange.

If you stay under the radar in other ways, ie. you're not dazzling other road users or flouting the road laws, I doubt you'll have a problem with a yellow HID and a gold visor unless you encounter a very, very grumpy copper. You're a non-resident so it's probably not worth the police making a fuss about it anyway. Have a good trip and let us know how it goes.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yaaaaaarrrrr

I'm drunk.

BUT.

As I remember you can have a yellow coloured front beam. As long as it's set right so you're not dazzling people then you should be fine. If the cops stop you be polite and cooperative and they should be fine with you.

The visor. It's a good way to draw attention to yourself and the cops love the idea that one little offence leads to another (i.e. the HID lights) and if I were you I'd change this to a clear one so as to not draw attention to yourself. If you're planning on riding in the evening you'll need a clear one anyway. Usually they'd let you off with the visor especially if you have a clear one to change into and it's daylight. My advice would be to only wear it in bright sun and then you have a valid reason. Get a clear one anyway and carry it.

If it were me and I stopped you, I'd be happy if it were bright and sunny and you had a clear visor to change to. If the weather conditions were poor with any amount of reduced visibility I'd have you change it and give you a bollocking as well as a ticket if you were anything other than apologetic and saying you were on the verge of changing it. In that case if I saw the HID light as well I'd be fine with it as long as it were properly adjusted but some coppers would be pushed over the edge by that and would give you a vehicle defect rectification notice or some other shit.

Have I rambled? Yes. Sorry. But hey.

Reply to this Topic
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

Don't worry i have both mentioned. The police are relaxed in UK and only go after excessive speeders. You dhould enjoy Scotland but try thelake district too ! Happy touring.

:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices