Skip to content

Discuss This What's the next big thing in bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What's the next big thing in bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

What's the next big thing in bikes?

Biking has undergone something of a revelation recently, with an adventure bike now being the UK's top selling big bike, Honda releasing a retro bike, and Yamaha looking at a triple engine. So where do you see the future? Are Triumph and MV right with three cylinders? Are Honda bang on with the CB1100?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 11:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Rogerborg

Rogerborg is correct that scooters are king on the continent, but a little known fact is that scooters are huge sellers in the UK too.

There are more scooters on the road in the UK than supersport bikes.

So the present and the future are definitely scooter shaped.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Turbo-Diesel Scooters

We can dream, eh?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Pikes

Pikes along side the roads.

With the heads of SMIDSY cagers mounted on them.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

The future.

Well, if you want to sell more bikes make them more practical for everyday use with flexible engines, great fuel economy and protection from the elements... Oh, that'll be a scooter then..

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Don't shoot!!!! I was only saying what I thought, I'm not an advocate of diesel bikes. I just think that there are many other fuels and engines being tested and developed which are not widely known about. 

Sorry if I upset anyone..... 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Billy

I would welcome a Big engine Turbo Diesel Busa with Huge grunt and 100mpg if it was light enough.  And Don't feel you have to say sorry m8, Opinions are exactly what these sites are for (Though you'd never believe it sometimes)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Piglet

We have "Pikey's" over here ...

Reply to this Topic
Toecutter71

Jun 10

Toecutter71 says:

next big thing

max and sub 500ccm whit turbo charger and massive use of electronic gizmoz first in traction/stearing/handling/ control(which already exist but only in high price class of bike) one engine whit 400ccm, airjet injection technology whit turbocharger easily can deliver 90bhp in combination with a possible lightweight construction can deliver maximum thrills like in past was Kawasaki KR1 250 zweitact , Suzuki RGV250,( NSR, TZR) and similar, those bikes had about 55 to 70 bhp(in end version) and wet weight of about  145kg but again they(manufacturers) has chance whit new ninja 250, new cbr 250...and what they do...they put on market heavy(185kg!) underpowered bikes O.K for beginers. but that is sign about they intention. That is my homble opinion.

Reply to this Topic
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

Learn to make bikes that fit all sizes of people. I keep hearing the shorties moaning about big trailies but us lankies can't ride most modern sportsbikes as they are smaller than my FS1E was. Sooner or later they might learn how to make a truly comfy seat as well. So far only the Goldwing and similar seem to be able to manage that. As for the engines, who cares. Electric, diesel, turbo, hydrogen are all fine by me so long as there is an awesome power/weight ratio and it's fun to ride.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Reckon

that sub 500cc bikes will be big in the future, scooters - petrol & electric, and Chinese bikes.

Manufacturers like Honda have their new 500cc trio which I'm seriously looking at buying, and KTM have the Duke 390.  More of this kind of stuff is on the way.  Scooters will inevitably become more popular as the two-wheeled market opens up to those who want the convenience and economy they offer but who aren't interested in 'biking' in general.  Chinese bike will also become big news as various manufacturers and importers start getting their acts togther on marketing, sales, and after-sales.  The biggest selling moped in the UK is Chinese and has been for some time.  They're sold and used all over the world, from fashionable German teens wanting a Kreidler 125cc supermoto, to someone in the middle of nowhere in a 3rd world country - all using essentially the same basic tried and tested mechanicals, and all originating from the same factories/assemblers in China.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices