Skip to content

Discuss This What's the next big thing in bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What's the next big thing in bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

What's the next big thing in bikes?

Biking has undergone something of a revelation recently, with an adventure bike now being the UK's top selling big bike, Honda releasing a retro bike, and Yamaha looking at a triple engine. So where do you see the future? Are Triumph and MV right with three cylinders? Are Honda bang on with the CB1100?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 11:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

High mph

I think Honda have already got the next big thing in biking. Fun, high mpg real motorcycles. I think everyone will have to produce a bike like theirs.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Belt drive

quiet and low maintenance. High mpg. 'Local' fun.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

new thing?

I think it has already started, people like the riding position of adventure bikes and  tourers, honda have started with the crosstourer, but missed a little, triumph have the 1050 tiger, neither are off roaders, but off roader shape, I think KTM have got it right with the new Adventure, as have ducati,  more sports bike than offroader really.

I think there are too many ultra nakeds, people wont buy enough of them because of the lack of wind protection. So its half fairings on super nakeds, and more sport on offroaders,

Please could we also get adjustable seats, bars, and pegs, These days you can buy a new car for the price of a new bike( and im sure you wouldnt get away with a car that you couldnt move the seat and steering wheel on) but we put up with a one size fits all, and it always seems bikes are made so ladies and shortarse ex racers can fit them, i think its no surprise as sports bikes get smaller less of them get sold

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Retros

Unfortunately the biking fraternity is getting older and there are less younger riders because of the insurance costs and the difficulty and cost of doing your test so I think retro bikes of a smaller cc will be the order of the day. Make a modern RD 350 4 stroke that goes and we will all go hmmmmmmm. I like adventure bikes but I just dont want a GS wannabe, an XT 500 maybe?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I can see turbo diesel bikes being developed, along with a new breed of non - polluting 2 strokes. 

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

500 cc

smaller more 50/50 biased trail bikes , basically bikes that are light enough to take off rd unlike the big gs or big ktm, something around the 500cc size but with reasonable suspension and lighter weight, doesnt need loads of outright power about45-50 bhp so that the service intervals can be measured in miles rather than hours.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Alternative fuels..

Nitro is nice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFkDtuX5uUw

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

None of the above!

Like billysollocks says, diesel bikes are the way to go for tourers and adventure bikes and commuters but people will want petrol driven sports bikes, just as it is in the car market. I also think totally enclosed bodywork would be good as it will keep all the mechanics clean and make the bike last a lot longer if the elements can't get to all the bits and bobs. Cleaning around frames, suspension, engine parts etc is pain in the a**e and bikes will be more reliable if moving parts are kept in good condition. Of course the styling will have to be acceptable so that it doesn't look like a big jelly mould.

Reply to this Topic
bud

Aug 02

bud says:

The bicycle.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The future is smaller and scooter shaped

Look at Europe to see where we'll end up.  60% of sales there are scooters, and nearly half of those are 50cc peds.  Most of the next generation of bikers are getting into it for practicality, not because they've got walls covered in posters of Power Rangers getting a fantasy bike knee down on a fantasy surface.

Even in the UK, Honda is just destroying everyone else in unit sales.  CBF125, Vision 110, NC700.  The new CB500 will own the A2 market in its various guises.  Reasonable bikes with a solid brand name at affordable prices, that's what the other volume manufacturers are going to have to chase, rather than Top Trumps peak power figures.

Me personally, I've like to see more bikes switch to belts.  It's not a new idea, and they work very well indeed.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle