Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash?

"Summer's coming (well, maybe), which means I'll be ditching the GoreTex and getting my leather jacket and Kevlar jeans out again. I always get a lot of grief from my mates about wearing Kevlar jeans, they say they're actually no more protective than a pair of Levi 501s. Is this true, or do they withstand abrasion about as well as...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 12:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ImperialManiac

Nov 12

I'm going to make the wild assumption that Kevlar is tougher than Denim.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

Kevlar has one property.  It does not tear.  You go down and it will give you abrasion protection, but you wont walk away unharmed.  You hit something solid it will hurt.  You will get friction burns.  You will get cuts from gravel and road detritus, it won't enter your body but will slice you through the fabric.

So yeah, it will provide more protection than just Denim but it won't give as much as leather or cordura, but thats the compromise for looks and being cool in "summer heat". 

I'd go for jeans that come with (or have pockets for) knee and hip armour as the joints take a pounding in a tumble.  There is also a massive difference in prices, the most expensive aren't necassarily the best.  Try them on and walk around the shop a bit to test comfort.

Reply to this Topic
irish1969

Mar 13

irish1969 says:

Jeans

I never go out without the power ranger suit on. I know it looks silly but having no skin on your legs and ass is worse... isn't this just a plain logic debate. The textiles provide extra padding which helps with the impacts and better abrasion resistance. What is your skin worth too you?  :blink:

Here is an article for reading  http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/why-wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-a-really-bad-idea/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
freekone

Mar 13

freekone says:

I'm a big fan of Kevlar.. that is , I always wear it for short trips, to the shops etc. Any decent / motorways trips will make me go for the robocop suit though.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Depends how you plan on riding. If I am riding hard I wear all leather. I find leather pants great for grip on the tank. For commuting I wear textile especially in this weather. But on a hot summer day especially after work I love to cruse home in a t shirt. On track I wear everything. My point is wear what is appropriate.

Reply to this Topic
silentnumber

Dec 09

silentnumber says:

Depends on riding style.

Well it depends on your riding style, If you get your knee down, popping wheelies and stunting, exceeding 100/mph, showing off etc, on public roads (or on track) then yes, leather would be a good idea. I don't do any of the aforementioned, so,for me kevlar denims are perfect. I think kevlar jeans offer better protection against abrasions than normal denims and with the same comfort, obviously kevlar has less protection than leathers. I have Red Route Kevlar Denims and I feel comfortable,think they look good and offer reasonable protection should I have a mishap, and at £60 suited my budget perfectly. Besides, Leather outfits don't make you immune to broken bones. It all comes down to personal choice, wear what you are comfortable wearing and always buy the best you can afford or budget allows, whether it be leather, textiles, or kevlar jeans. Levis dont have pockets for additional body armour so how can they be the same?

Reply to this Topic
azicat

Feb 13

azicat says:

I'd say yes. I've got the scars to show that regular denim lasts about half a second against bitumen, even against parking speed falls. Kevlar jeans are a great compromise between minimal abrasion protection and wearing clothing that doesn't scream 'motorcyclist' when off the saddle. Perfect for general city riding.

Reply to this Topic
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

They're great!

I've had two accidents, both wearing the same pair of Richa jeans. They're absolutely fine and I've never had any gravel rash etc on my legs.

I'm looking to buy some leathers for proper ride outs this summer, but every day riding will see me back in those kevlars and trusty textile Triumph jacket.

The only bad point i've had with mine, is that the right pocket has come away inside and I keep dropping my phone into my boot xD

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

try this

Go for a jog down your street in 501 jeans and trip yourself up so you hit the floor, do the same with the kevlar. assess the damage to both materials and also damage to skin. equate and evaluate said damage to a 30 mile per hour spill from your bike, and, there's your answer.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Kevlar means I ride my bike more

When I was changing in and out of leather or cordura, some days I just couldn't be doing with it and took the cage for my commute. Now I wear solid black Draggin' denims as office wear, and kevlar means there's another happy biker on the road most days.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices