Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Are Kevlar Jeans worth the cash?

"Summer's coming (well, maybe), which means I'll be ditching the GoreTex and getting my leather jacket and Kevlar jeans out again. I always get a lot of grief from my mates about wearing Kevlar jeans, they say they're actually no more protective than a pair of Levi 501s. Is this true, or do they withstand abrasion about as well as...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 12:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cavetroll87

Aug 10

Cavetroll87 says:

Good Compromise

I agree with the other guys here really, I wear mine for my commute so I dont have to change in and out of gear before leaving as I can leave them on in the office but if I am going out for a proper blast I leather it up. I have come off the bike and am aware of what can happen but if I worried about that all the time surely I would never ride in the first place!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Jeans

I wear normal jeans. I crashed in them at 30-40 mph. Nothing more than a small abrasion to the jeans. I had more damage caused to me by the armour in my jacket rubbing through my skin...

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Worth it

Not only do you feel cooler in kevlar jeans on hot sunny days but you look cooler too! Textile trousers are fine and work well but don't win over the fashion police and leather gets too hot and sticky, plus when you want a blast to the coast who wants to be sat in sweaty leathers? You look like a gimp! Of course there's some cheap rubbish out there but as with anything you get what you pay for. I can't fault my Sartso jeans.

Reply to this Topic
JTceltic

Jul 09

JTceltic says:

You ask/you answer - really?

Surely this is a better subject for a proper article with actual facts and statistics, written by a materials expert, not for a you ask/you answer? Come on now MCN...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Depends*

Around town in warmer weather and/or on a tiddler, I wear Kevler reinforced jeans with Dainese knee pads underneath. Longer/faster trips on the highway, Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece suit with hip and knee pads. At the track, A-Stars two-piece Carver leather suit.

* <groan>

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I highsided a sv650 about 2 years ago. I was going to work and wearing snickers workpants and a textile jacket. The textile jacket ripped at the shoulder, my helmet had deep scrapes on the back, the leather on my right steel toe boot wore trough but the snickers pants were perfect. Just a bit of dirt. I had a bit of road rash on my back where my jacket came up. Luck ya can't beat it.

Reply to this Topic
ir0nage

Mar 10

ir0nage says:

Definitely

Take a look at the Draggin Jeans website for info on how kevlar jeans stack up in wear through time tests. I've been wearing Kevlar jeans for years and although they're heavier and hotter on hot days (Australia) they're worth the money because they last longer than jeans both in a crash and in general wear. Beware of fake kevlars though where the 'kevlar is actually just dies cotton. I frequently use articulated knee guards under them for real impact protection especially when doing MotoGymkhana stuff.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

I love Kevlar jeans...

just bought some ones with armour, no doubt my race suit is more protective but who wants to wear that all the time in town, also at 30mph you would have be really unlucky to seriously injure yourself lowsiding etc

Reply to this Topic
rgvyan

Feb 08

rgvyan says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_1yPMwQL8

Of course he sells them so bound to be a positive result for kevlar jeans but it makes sense. Wouldn't wear mine on a trackday but for nipping out they're much more practical than my leathers. Armoured knees and hips so should be ok (relatively) in a low speed off.

Reply to this Topic
Horneejeans

Mar 13

Horneejeans says:

Hornee Jeans

www.horneejeans.com - Please check out the official test results on our jeans We are Hornee Jeans and wanted to give abit of info on our product. The difference between wearing a Kevlar jean to leathers is being comfortable, that is our main aim. We have produced a jean that is like wearing a normal pair of jeans but due to the 100% DuPont Kevlar lining it gives breathable protection. Obviously leathers are fantastic hence why racers wear them but not everyone wants to be dressed in leathers every time they ride their bike especially in the summer (what little summer we do have). Normal jeans offer no protection (I should know as I have crashed in them and have the scars to prove it). We believe that you will get more wear out of a pair of Hornee Jeans than expensive pair of leathers. Hornee Jeans are made by bikers for bikers. If you are interested in looking at our range then our UK distributor www.Feridax.com are now taking delivery of new stock. Safe riding everyone :-)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices