Skip to content

Discuss This Bike Chooser: Sub-£4000 all-rounder General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike Chooser: Sub-£4000 all-rounder

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Dabbs  says:

Bike Chooser: Sub-£4000 all-rounder

"I’m looking for a used bike under £4000 that can do a bit of everything, commute and a long weekend away with the missus. If it's already got a top box or Givi rack even better."Chris Icke, Nottingham The One to BuyKawasaki Versys 650£2899-£6999 Chris has only been riding for a year so he’s going to need a rider-friendly bike that is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 17:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Depends

To me it depends if you are going to stick with your purchase for some time or not.No point in spending 4k and in a year find you need to move on to something else.If you feel one of the bikes above is maybe suitable for a while untill you gain a bit more experiance then there is no need to spend too much,certainly nowhere near 4k.(I would'nt consider the Fazer S2 unless you don't mind a bike that is Rev Hungry).

If you feel fairly confident the CBF1000 is a good allrounder, easy to get on with and  no need to change later on.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

I dunno Sprintman.  A GSXR does 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds.  Bearing in mind that's a full blown sportsbike plastic missile, the Kawasaki Versys does it in 3.9 seconds.  Hardly shabby. 

I've been riding for 16 years on a spectrum of bikes from a Bonneville to a ZXR750R and I love my Versys to bits.  Fun, versatile, economical, practical, comfy, cheap without feeling cheap.  What more do you want? 

The V gets my vote.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Sub-£4000 all-rounders....

Blackbird, Hayabusa, ZZR1400 simply the best All rounders ever made, Long trips, short commutes, Sunday Blasts, more economical than most would have you believe, Comfort, Weather protection, Two up touring..... all in all few compromises. Why have less?

Reply to this Topic
cousinbillybob

Jan 13

Go for a Triumph or a Honda CBF

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"No point in spending 4k and in a year find you need to move on to something else"

Wut? The longest I've gone without changing bikes is a year. Allah loves wondrous variety.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Allah can please himself (or is it a she these days)

Roger... " Allah" and your good self must have money to throw away.I'm speaking for myself and others who certainly have not.

Muddy686....heard nothing but great reviews for the Versys.Hard to beleive from a 60 BHP Twin.

Wondered if you have done anything with the Suspension,and are the Vibes sorted on yours?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Hang on, I think we're actually agreeing

I've never paid more than £800 for a bike. :D

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

True All-Arounder

For me it would be the Wee-Strom, since it would be the best on gravel and dirt roads (thousands of miles of which are less than 2 hours riding distance from me), while still acceptable on the highway and paved twisties.

Reply to this Topic
js70062

Jan 13

js70062 says:

versys meltdown

locktab, your experience wasn't unique.

A mate had a versys from brand new (first or second year of production I think), and his went for 60-70k or so then fell to pieces spectacularly. In the meantime, he had about 3 or 4 mufflers on warranty, they kept failing.

Yes, I know 60-70k is a lot, but he was commuting it 100 miles each way, so that's 70k in top gear at constant speed, and with everything warmed up.

On the positive side, he loved it. Right up until it stopped.

Reply to this Topic
Bampy1

Mar 13

Bampy1 says:

All rounder

You would have to take a serious look at the Triumph Tiger 1050, early models are now around £4,000 and from experience the triple engine is a masterpiece, why would you want a lumpy twin or a 4 where you have to rev the life out of it to get anywhere.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle