Skip to content

Discuss This Sheene 10 Years On: Sheene the Mate General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Sheene 10 Years On: Sheene the Mate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Sheene 10 Years On: Sheene the Mate

It will be 10 years next week since the tragic death of Britain’s greatest ever grand prix star. In part one of our exclusive three-part tribute to Barry Sheene – the mate, the father, and the rival – we hear from best friend and former team-mate Steve Parrish. When did you first meet Barry?It was Brands Hatch, 1974, I was riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 March 2013 17:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Sheene & Nixon

Just watched the (Barry Sheene) DVD that was on offer to MCN readers. Great to hear Bazza (from his home in Oz) say: "My best friend throughout my motorcycle career was Gary Nixon, we still call each other every week." No more dining out on the "My Best Mate" for Steve Parrish! Suppose Barry was everyones Best Mate! RIP me old mucker!

Just spotted Bazza in the picture above, wearing a Gary Nixon tee shirt. Would nearly always wear Nixon stars & stripes under his leathers.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

We first met  Barry Sheene when the Sporting & Racing bike show was held at the Royal Horticultural halls in London in the early 70s . He was very friendly  , full of life  and never seemed to stand still . About  10 of us had gone to London in two big cars as the weather wasn"t too good  , if I remember  6 lads & 4 girls . Barry made a bee line for one of the girls within 5 minutes ,she must have been around 10 years older than him, but of course that didn"t put him off  ,nor did a bigger boyfriend who was  half cut  even though it was not yet noon . Phil Read was there at the same time running a stall with his wife , he was a different kettle of fish - very nice  and polite , but not  obvious  like Barry Sheene , but  he was what everyone expected  , most had read about  his antics . I think  he got away with a lot - because he was Barry Sheene . We saw him later at Donnington ,after arriving by chopper , but it was not the same ,by now he knew he was a superstar ,and as such seemed more aloof  .Liked him a lot but never forgave him for  helping to abandon the Isle of Man as the premier  race in  the  world rankings  .

Reply to this Topic
rafolian

Sep 12

rafolian says:

Sheene

Undoubtably a great rider, but britains GREATEST Grand Prix star? I think Read, Hailwood, Ivy, Duke, Surtees etc, etc, might, if they were all still here have a different view on that statement!!

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

Bazza

I was lucky enough to have met Barry on many occasions and he was without doubt a larger than life character, approachable ,forthright and funny,the like of which we will probably never see again,the gp stars of today would never give you the quotes that Barry could dish out, he also did things for people that went unnoticedhe had a kind warm side,I was gutted when he retired and even more so when I heard he had cancer and subsequently died,However, true Barry to the end ,winning at Goodwood in his last appearance was truly fitting and heart warming, he had left us one final happy memory of "Barry Sheene" World Champion motorcycle racer and top bloke

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices