You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Legal liability for rideouts

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Andymackk

Mar 13

Andymackk says:

Legal liability for rideouts

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find any info.  I run a club, and organise rideouts every month. Can anyone tell me if I have any liability by organising these runs?

I have a lead rider who drives at the speed limit, and a tail end Charlie to make sure no one gets lost or breaks down. We don't enforce staying behind the lead, and leave it up to the individuals. I have been advised that I could be held liable if there was an accident. Anyone shed some light on this, or give me an idea where to check?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 March 2013 10:41)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

As far as common sense goes

you won't be liable if you state things like "All rides are taken at the participant's risk" on any events/invites/etc.

If it's just a group of mates going out then you should be alright, but if you start getting people you don't know very well then as long as you make it known that you're not "running" the meets, just organising a potential route which people can follow then no harm, no fowl. Everyone's riding their own ride, you're not telling them to go any particular direction or speed so you can't be held responsible for their actions.

If you were giving them all particular route maps/instructions (that may include questionable roads) or going on private property then you might be liable, but as far as I can see you wouldn't be liable for any incident that occurred during a ride (unless you were directly involved).

Reply to this Topic
Andymackk

Mar 13

Andymackk says:

Liability

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I AM running the meets. I started a club 4 years ago, and now averaging 30-40 bikes on a rideout. I'm the only one who does anything, I pick a destination, arrange the meeting place advertise it on the web and let all the forum members know its on.

There isn't a committee or charges, so no formal structure, but I try and welcome anyone who wants to go. Its becoming more and more popular, but don't want to leave myself open to any litigation, especially now its getting busy

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Then as a simple fix

just make sure that whenever you post an invitation/description state quite clearly "I accept no responsibility for your actions". Talk to a few of the local bike schools (places that offer advanced riding lessons are often best), see if they'll give you any example wording as I seem to remember when I went for an advanced course I had to sign a form saying something along the lines of "all risk is yours, we will not accept responsibility for you going outside the law, etc".

In fact, after a quick Google, something like the following could work quite well:

All riders must remember – YOUR safety is YOUR OWN responsibility. YOU must ride in a safe manner at all times and within your own capabilities.  Each rider participating in a group ride is responsible for their own actions and their consequences.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andymackk

Mar 13

Andymackk says:

liability

Appreciate your input - thanks

Andy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy