Skip to content

General Honda CBR125R or Yamaha YZF-R125 (2009+) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Honda CBR125R or Yamaha YZF-R125 (2009+)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AfXv237

Mar 13

AfXv237 says:

Honda CBR125R or Yamaha YZF-R125 (2009+)

Hello,
I don't know if I posted in the right section, but I take the risk.
I want to get a town economical commuter. I've thought first of Honda's CBF125 or Yamaha's Virago 250/SR125/YBR125. They are all nice, economical and reliable, but naked. Lastly, I decided to choose between 2009+ Honda CBR125R or Yamaha YZF-R125. Even though they are more sportish, they return excellent fuel economy (2 to 2,5l/100km or 90+ US MPG) and above all, they are fully-faired (so I won't have much trouble with the wind). Before picking one of these I want to know some information which only people who owned them can help me. Need to mention that there are things that do not really matter to me. For example, the motorcycle height. I am 180cm and they both fit me right(Honda is lower and Yamaha higher seated). 

First off, I'm interested in how many RPMs require each bike to maintain 60km/h (or 40mph) (max 70km/h) in the 6th gear.
2) Which of these is the most confortable (for example: which one requires a more upright position)

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 March 2013 16:45)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Welcome A.........7

WOW that's a big copy and paste :shock:

First off...
Answer 1 :- Depends on a number of things, weather, road incline/decline and rider weight.
Answer 2 :- No definative answer tbh, we're all put together differently, by that I mean short arms long torso, long arms short torso. So try before you buy, comfort might well we worth a few mpg?.

Have I just been trolled shrug.gif 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmmm.....

I'm thinkin...... about this....... Oh hang on..... Hayabusa.:smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

honda

is more upright.

rider weight will affect rpm for a given speed given the size of the engine.

I will have sex with my fan heater as it is warm.

Reply to this Topic
AfXv237

Mar 13

AfXv237 says:

Update

Seems like my post hasn't copy-pasted entirely.

So, 
3) At what RPM should I up-shift in order to get the BEST fuel economy? (I don't really care about speed. 60-70km/h should be maximum)
4) Which one is physically better? (I mean which one has better suspension, forks, etc. so I am talking about components' quality)
5) Which one is more reliable? (Since I am planning to drive them at low RPMs, I believe they will last forever, but are there any common faulties that people often encounter on any of these 2 bikes?)

Reply to this Topic
AfXv237

Mar 13

AfXv237 says:

Update #2

6) Since I am looking for fuel economy (and not speed), should a smaller sprocket improve the torque and therefore return better consumption? (or is the original sprocket perfect? For example: I've seen people replacing the sprocket for Ninja 250 with a smaller one and the fuel consumption was considerably improved)
7) Any tips about getting better fuel consumption are well-appreciated.
 Are there any better fully-faired motorcycle which returns 90+ US MPG and which are also known for reliability (4 stroke and Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha should be the brands)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Just a thought

but - have you considered insurance on these bikes? That needs to be your first consideration - the CBR / YZF-R may well cost more to insure than other 125's.

A fully-faired bike may be more fuel-efficient, but if you drop the bugger (and it's more easily done than people think), them fairings can be expensive to replace.

If you want an economical commuter, get an old Honda CG125.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices