Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi’s back, but where’s the money? Yamaha explains MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi’s back, but where’s the money? Yamaha explains

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi’s back, but where’s the money? Yamaha explains

When Yamaha launches its 2013 factory MotoGP world championship effort in Jerez tomorrow (Friday), Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo’s YZR-M1 machinery will once again be missing a title sponsor. The return of Italian icon Rossi, who remains unquestionably the biggest box office star in MotoGP, has not attracted significant fresh investment to the Japanese factory, which is preparing for a third...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 March 2013 17:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

oh look I said

A month ago they had no title sponsor....but got shot down in flames by people saying it was monster when I knew it wasn't......looks like yamaha have prostituted themselves with rossi for nothing

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Quite agree that Motogp has all too often been guilty of the same habit “ putting too many eggs in one basket”.
The bias is definitely towards the Spanish. 4 races in Spain. Probably due to Dorna/Espeleta.
For years they used the “Rossi” name instead of creating an abundance of topics and promoting a wider range of riders.  Motogp is guilty of this…but so are MCN for that matter
It is not good for the sport.
If the series is loaded in favour of Spain & Italy then that is where the sponsors should come from – they obviously feel the class is worth something, so should contribute towards it. Riders from the USA are getting seats on bikes and are getting 3 races – so once again American sponsors should be dipping into their pockets.
Yamaha are probably in a sticky situation not wishing to upset their number one rider, but clearly if they bandied Rossi about more and used his name they would no doubt be in a much better situation – but with Lorenzo as a world champion and number 1 rider of the team…….bit awkward!
The Motogp brand has sadly lost some of its appeal to big sponsors because of dull races in the past few seasons. Fact.  Get back to exciting races that thrill TV audiences and fill grandstands (even in the USA!) and once again big corporations will then be fighting to get their names on the bikes and attached to riders. Global economics do play a huge part but you’d be surprised how quickly a downturn gets ignored if some spectacular racing/races/racers get shown on TV channels around the world and their logo is there for all to see.

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

racingfan99

Think your living in cloud cuckoo land mate....F1 is better than it's been for years and vofafone is saying bye to mclaren this year and taking it's £50 million sponsorship with it.....companies simply do not have the money anymore to write off as sponsorship.the costs are out of control and sponsors won't stump up the money required, can u justify riding a bike round some racetracks and wanting 10, 20, 30 , million to do it.....if I was a ceo of a big company I'd just laugh at them and that seems like exactly what's happened

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

CROC OF SH*T

The whole world apart from China is skint and they could run there own Moto GP series if they wanted, so why bother backing anyone else 

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Jarvis talks about the necessity to attract blue chip companies to subsidise Yamaha's racing activity..but Yamaha ARE a blue chip company. They've got a lot more money and resources than 99% of the teams in the paddock through all classes.

What's going to happen to all the smaller European teams that bulk out the grid in Moto2 & Moto3 if he gets his way and the whole shooting match heads for the land of the rising sun?

Are a multitude of local less affluent sponsors that adorn fairings going to shell out if the racing switches to Asia?

What about pay-for-seat riders, personally backed by the same type of smaller companies? Are there enough Asian riders of a decent standard to take their place?

Yamaha put just 4 bikes on the grids in all classes. It's this presumption that everything should revolve around the MSMA that pisses me off.

I bet Jarvis has got a few quid? Get your hand in your own pocket son and stop whining.  

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Credibility Wosi

You preach from your high horse with your high-handed views and denounce anyone who disagrees as having zero credibility.

You're a joke at times sunshine. Take a look at your first comment on this topic. Here's the first line:

Although there's little doubt Rossi IS a money making machine and the biggest draw the sport has, I can't recall ANY #46ers saying he was going to bring buckets of the stuff with him to Yamaha?

So who said this?

I'd imagine we can expect news of a title sponsor before long?

The sheer charisma, appeal and worldwide fanbase of Valentino ensures top ROI for sponsors whatever..it simply doesn't matter!

He could be riding Bob's Grannies old Puch Maxi to tenth AND getting beat by Dani Pedrosa...they'd still be lining up to get a piece of the action.

Especially valuable this year with the much anticipated rivalry at Yamaha.

Pure class. A global icon. Good on him for throwing Jarvis & Co. a lifeline.

Reply to this Topic
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

yamaha took rossi back for the money?

If they did surely they would have been discussing it with potential sponsers before the deal was signed? If it had been youin their position, wouldnt yuo have been speaking to potential sponsors? Dear a, b and c, we are talking to rossi re: rejoning our moto gp effort, would you like tcome on board and get some major air time? Clearly the big money sponsers either werent convinced it would happen, or decided moto gp wasnt for them at this time, or that rossi is over and done with? Either way, yamaha would have been working behind the scenes to try and get sponsorship before they re-signed him, maybe, just maybe, they had discovered that they wouldnt get abig title sponsor with or without him, and decided theyd rather have him than not anyway? Ps. Sorry for the terrible typing, am on tablet

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Blunto..

Hahaha..that's where you've been, trawling wosi's comments.

Not the sharpest tool in the box are we..

Read it again without your Mister serious head on and you'll see it's tongue-in-cheek, probably in response to one of your dull as ditchwater Rossi slangers.

I mentioned winding dim fks up like you by including an element of truth..hello?..anybody there?

Take your head out your arse softlad.

Reply to this Topic
Farnarkle

Jan 13

Farnarkle says:

Oh, dearie me

Well, it's nature, innit?  In the autumn of his career, the leaves are falling off (what was left after Stoner had finished with him and Ducati cut off his water).  Poor Wosi and his mates, it must be hard to discover that the hero you were convinced was the pig's tits is smelling like the pig's arse to sponsors.  A bit like finding that video nasty of your girlfriend on Youtube doing the dirty thing with a donkey - not only are you feeling betrayed but also so dreadfully inadequate where it really matters to her, specially when the donkey in question is your best and only mate.

So whatever one does, don't mention  that Stoner decided to try shopping trolleys and Red Bull came  running with bucketfuls of cash.  I did, but I think I got away with it.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

shopping trolleys..loaded to the gunnels with "Pampers"

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle