Skip to content

Ask an Expert Sticking brakes... Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Sticking brakes...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

swen

Aug 08

swen says:

Sticking brakes...

Hi all. I need your help: when I move my bike in a morning - front brakes(Nissin 4 pots) pops(Suzuki TL1000S).There are pad marks on a disks(abe-aftermarket).First I serviced brakes(new seals,cleaned,pads are Goldfren-plenty of meat left)-same.Next master cylinder repair kit-same.Bled the brakes,fluid level- fine. Now run out of ideas. Could the aftermarket disk are cheap metal or maybe pads are crap somehow?... Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 March 2013 19:44)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
swen

Aug 08

swen says:

-

Hi all, thanks for your advice.Lots of replys :) I've been told that spring in a master cylinder pushes oil back not a vacuum. And i also feel its not the vacuum what causes sticking. It's not a big deal-just my other bikes never used to do.The rest of the times brakes are not sticking or binding. Also its sticks even it wasn't raining. Maybe salt.I probably need to read a bit about iron vs stainless... And yeah i heard Goldfren are shit but they came in with the bike. Will see, better weather soon, when its time -will replace with other brand pads. Thanks again

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

To push or pull?

Hi again.

Yes there is a return spring in the mater cylinder, but to say that it pushes oil back is not entirely accurate, as far as I can see. 

There is a very good diagram on page 158 of Kevin Cameron's Sportbike Performance Handbook 2nd ed as well as his description of what actually happens. I can recommend this book as a tenner well spent, if you want to brush up on all aspects of a motorcycle.

There will be a combination of factors, some of them tiny, which ultimately contribute to the system returning to "original state", but the main factor seems to be the springiness of the caliper piston seal. This is what seems to push the oil back. The spring in the master cylinder , in my eyes, assists by returning the master cylinder piston, thereby opening up the tiny hole into the reservoir above.

If a brake pad decides to stick itself to the disc, there is nothing in the hydraulic part of the system to get it off. 

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

If the diaphram's

Only Job was to pull the pads back you would find when bleeding your brakes that your brakes would be binding ...... make sure someone hasn't modified the pawl that pushes on the mastercylinder hasn't been packed out or modified to improve lever feel..... i have seen this before .....very dangerous  also on the opposite side some cheap pattern levers can be the wrong profile causing poor lever feel

my bet if the bike moves ok once initially shifted try some different pads abe will probs reccomend a certain compound pad ....

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Hi Swen, you said you serviced......

The brakes, replacing seals.

This might be obvious but you sure you fitted them correct way round?

They are usually tapered on the outside edge.

Worth a check in your manual.

Edit: Oh yes, and I agree with eatcs01, those Goldfren pads are for the bin.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Tapered seals

Hi

The master cylinder seals have a pronounced taper on them, but if they were fitted the wrong way around nothing would happen. No oil (or certainly very little) would be pumped. The "cup" would fold in on itself. The lever would return very very slowly as the piston would be trying to pump on the return stroke and push the oil through the tiny hole. 

Besides, if both master cylinder cup seals were fitted wrong way around, oil would leak out the end  and quite copiously when the lever is pulled. 

Regarding the caliper piston seals, I'm not sure if they are all tapered? If there is a taper, then yes, you would have return problems, but I suspect you'd have severe oil leak problems too.

I'm pretty sure you'd know in both cases. 

Going back to the second post and the vacuum scenario. If there are still any doubters then consider that the diaphragm is more like a bellows. It is made to extend itself freely. It is unable to provide any mechanical support. 

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

tapered caliper seals

Nah

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Caliper piston seals

Hi

Are some caliper piston seals wedged (tapered) on the outer diameter? Fitting the wrong way around in that case would lead to problems with sticking perhaps?

It might tend to squeeze the seal a bit tighter? Dunno.

The seals are meant to deform without necessarily sliding so is this wedge shape done for that reason or some other reason? Seems that this deforming characteristic is the main factor which will return the piston after lever pressure is released. As the seals straighten back again.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

dont

listen to bad advice by crusty poo pants he ain't got a clue

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Crusty poo coo coo cah choo

Maybe, maybe not. But are the seals wedged shape or not? That is the question.

Cheers.  :)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

LAR LAR Land

come on now lads get a grip caliper seals are not wedge shaped:wacko: and master cylinder rubber diaphragms don't pull caliper pistons back:wacko:and the moon isn't a balloon:lol:.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices