You are in... Forums > General > General > First track day and

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AlbertHerring

Nov 09

First track day and

... I binned it.

Monday, Cadwell, novices' day, and I conspired to go straight on at the bottom of the mountain after a not particularly heroic overtake. Quite pissed off with myself, not as though I was going that fast, just overreached myself slightly when my brain hadn't warmed up properly (tyres weren't ever going to get warm on Monday). Third session, first lap, overtook someone out of the chicane, then panicked that I was going to cut them up for just long enough to miss the turn in marker, then I think decided I wasn't going to make it and gave in to target fixation. Went straight onto the grass and before I could even grab the canonical handful of beginners' front brake bogged down for a mini-highside and head over heels. Nowt serious but they red flagged it because I'd strained my neck a bit, embarrassing. Visor full of muddy grass, lost an indicator, chunk out of the nose fairing, bruised up a bit.  First time I've been off other than walking pace learners' drops. Now feel a right prat. Still, rather there than under an artic.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 00:29)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

don't worry Albert

did something similar a few years ago on mine, although I did manage to save it but more luck than skill..

I wont do track days at this time of year, even with a set of tyre warmesrs on the wait you can have can easily lose the heat.

At least you're ok and again I always use a track bike and van for this reason.

Don't be embarrassed nothing to be embarrassed about

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Van

would be nice but can't afford that sort of thing. Don't see myself ever getting to tyre warmers territory. Luckily I was there with a group who found enough van space to get me home.

Annoyed with myself because I'm pretty sure I could have got round the corner if I'd decided to try, even from miles off line. It's not like I was going that fast. The camber there provides a bit of a weird optical effect though, look left and it's like you need to turn straight up a wall, think that threw me.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I've had many OMG moment

I like the novice group:smile Did you get an instructor to go round with you?, first one of the year I always bag an instructor they are usually really good and help a lot and they keep other wannabe racers from cutting you up.

Whens the next one ??

If you are going to do a few more it's well worth getting another bike and maybe a trailer, don't forget all the extra fuel you have to take as well rather than filling up track side if there is any, a very costly expense:upset:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Bad luck man....

Did the exact same myself about 8 years ago @ Cadwell, bottom of mountain.. Outbraked myself... Sat it up... heading straight for the marshall... He jumps out his chair not sure which way to dive.. panics.. I think 'don't hit the marshall'... He dived, I scrubbed most speed off on tarmac and straight lined over the grass and somehow kept it upright and stopped... PHEW!

Lucky!

Was it cold Albert?????  

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Cold enough

to have my fabrics with linings on over my leathers, which softened the impact a bit.  And wet enough that I had my visor open because I was pretty much totally blind with it down. Not sure whether I'd got the bike stood up before the grass, but it was very boggy too and I don't think I'd thought to haul in the clutch, so I think a lot of things ended up moving at different speeds fairly abruptly which was why I ended up doing a forward roll rather than just sliding out from a lowside as I was anticipating. Very annoyed that none of the following pack (I went out third or fourth so there was lots of traffic behind) had a camera on board, really want to see how I went down. Although most of the lessons are fairly obvious anyway.

Next one when I can afford it, lots of other things to throw money at at the moment, but maybe later in the year.

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Well mate...

crashes are fine as long as we:

a/ don't get hurt
b/ learn from them

I'm planning on kicking the track days off pretty soon too. Was it your first track day ever? Cadwell might not be the easiest choice.. very demanding place, especially wet and cold.. You're a brave man! Was it your road bike too??

Hoping to get started in April, i'll give you a shout if you like mate

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Yup

First ever, cold and wet (but cheap as a result), tatty (now tattier) fazer 600 with topbox plate and all, rode out at stupid o'clock in the morning in the freezing fog. I liked the track well enough (in a very novicey group) and would like to go back (Donington's nearer home but looks a lot more expensive). Wasn't the slowest, or the first to go off, but was a very long way from quick. Unlikely to do any more for a month or two, though, lots of other stuff on one way and another. Give us a shout if you have a date in mind, though, certainly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices