Skip to content

Discuss This KTM shows electric scooter concept New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > KTM shows electric scooter concept

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

KTM shows electric scooter concept

KTM has today unveiled a new electric scooter concept called the E-SPEED at the Tokyo motor show in Japan; a move that sees the Austrian firm preparing to move into a completely new market segment. The scooter concept weighs 140kg has a 50mph top speed and nearly 40mile range on a full charge and takes just two hours to full charge...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 09:37)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

'leccy scoot

Looks funky but needs a rear mudguard for UK use. Or are mudguards optional extras thesedays?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

KTM Ready to Race

More KTM Ready to Charge.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Don't think mudguards are in C&U or MOT

OK, the 100% reliable real world range is probably more like 20 miles (and dropping as the battery gives up) but it's not awful.

Environmental disasters of course, with the electricity being made predominantly in coal stations, and them being essentially disposable because nobody with half the wit they were born with will buy one when the battery is out of warranty.

Reply to this Topic
Doug66

Feb 06

Doug66 says:

50mph and silent

SORRY MATE I DID NOT HEAR or SEE YOU, will be the next big excuse. We will be invisible on this. Imagine a silent 100bhp 145mph Bandit. Time to patent a noisy electric power pipe sound device.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Doug66

cardboard in the spokes should sort that issue out... ;-)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
toshibaz

Mar 10

toshibaz says:

@Doug66

It will have an application, so you could download different sounds...Duc, inline, single, akra...whatever you want...speaker instead of exhaust

Reply to this Topic
hondagixer

Aug 02

hondagixer says:

an electric bike would suit me as i live about 3 miles from work. but i can see this being expensive to buy and after a while a replacement battery being so much that its just not worth it. and i bet the battery will have to be a ktm one as it will be the only one to fit correctly into the bike.

interesting idea, give it a few more years and we may see something better in terms of battery power and costs.

Reply to this Topic
stripple675

Aug 12

stripple675 says:

the initial purchase cost is still a sticking point for me.like the idea tho'. I agree with others about the silent running, it is scary. it needs to make it's presence known or there will be trouble..I wonder how cheeps insurance will be ?

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

ktm.electric

would do me fine as i dont often now do trips of any distance  now.these things will be common on our roads within the next 5 years or so.if your commute is say 10 /15 miles return  its  perfect

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Not so sure about

the environmental disaster bit Rodger, as certainly where my brother lives in Scotland, leccy comes mainly from renewables.  The coal fired power station near him recently closed its doors after 45 years of operation.  Ok, I'm not entirely convinced either, but I do know that when coal and oil run out and become prohibitively expensive in this country, there will always be alternative such as nuclear etc.  Nuclear could be doing the job right now, but it's too much of a political hot-potato.  In a few years time when the tree-huggers are freezing their arses off at home and suddenly forget their 'ideals', then sources such as nuclear can be introduced on a wider scale.

Battery power - might be the case that you buy the vehicle but lease the battery as used to (maybe still does) with certain brands of hydrid cars.  Does the Renault Twizzy not do this?  So your running costs won't be quite as cheap as you anticipated once you factor in the cost of the battery lease, but at least you'll never have an expensive battery to buy, which will help the used bike/car market and residual values.

Silent running... do cars drivers ever pay attention anyway?  Perhaps the ability to sneak up on them by stealth and zip by them is an advantage.

My best mate is a highly qualified electrical engineer.  Chatting to him one night about it all, he is absolutely convinced that electric vehicle fit the bill for most people's needs and will be big news.  Reckoned hybrids will be the way forwards for those needing to cover longer distances - with the electric motor being supplemented by a small capacity tubo-charged petrol/diesel engine.  Spelling out the benefits of electric motors, their simplicity, lack of maintenance required, reliability etc, I think they have a lot to offer motorcyclists in the future - particularly when battery development means greater distances. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices