Skip to content

Discuss This KTM shows electric scooter concept New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > KTM shows electric scooter concept

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

KTM shows electric scooter concept

KTM has today unveiled a new electric scooter concept called the E-SPEED at the Tokyo motor show in Japan; a move that sees the Austrian firm preparing to move into a completely new market segment. The scooter concept weighs 140kg has a 50mph top speed and nearly 40mile range on a full charge and takes just two hours to full charge...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 09:37)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

The future is manipulated

I can well see electric vehicle manufacturers consorting with europoliticians to try and  ban conventional vehicle from built up areas. Only then will electric vehicles be a realistic option and then only because the goalposts have been moved. KTM's statement appears to hint at this if you read between the lines.

Coventional engined machines can be used for short journeys but also longer ones should you want. Electric vehicles confine the owner to short trips only .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Silly Design

Any scooter that lacks a large amount of built in locking storage is silly.

This KTM would not work for me – while the 50 mph top speed is fine (about the same as my Honda Elite (Lead) 110), I often ride 100+ miles, and two minutes to re-fill with gasoline (petrol) is acceptable, while two hours to recharge the battery is not.

Reply to this Topic
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

KTM. Try buying one there impossible to find.

Have you ever tried to find a KTM dealer in this country? Not on every high st are they, so how do the expect to sell these electric bikes? THROUGH CURRIES OR TESCO'S. I went to the NEC looked at all the new adventure bikes including the KTM 1190 adventure but like i said i tried to find a dealer!More chance of of finding it warm and sunny tomorrow!

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

Just like hybrids the electric vehical is fundamentally flawed by the damage done in producing and disposing of the batteries. Personally I'd be interested in a hydrogen fuel cell bike (if they keep the fuel cell low down) or I'll just stick to petrol.

Reply to this Topic
Patsfalco

Sep 12

Patsfalco says:

Not just yet...

It's good to see the development of these technologies, and cars are starting to gather some momentum with electric ptions from major manufacturers. As an aside,  the TT Zero gived us an idea of what the technology can do on real roads.

At present, I run a PCX125 for my 8 mile round trip to the railway station daily. It give 95mpg and it has a few years left in it yet, and I think that its eventual replacement will likely be fossil fuelled, but the one after that....? It may well be electric.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

How much?

And how long a life does the battery cost and how much is a replacement? Also, what are the dangers from the battery in an accident? Just look on Youtube at what small ni cad batteries do when short-circuited, burn etc. Don't know how dangerous a battery on one of these would be if it went up! The cocept of electric bikes for short runs, commuting etc is good, but cost and safety need to be sorted.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sorry, should have said how long a life does the battery have! Derrrr!!! And its concept! I'll check my spelling next time!

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Great starting point

Well the vectrix has been around some time now and it is still the best on performance with regard to electric scooters, but at least other companies are finally getting in on the act.

Someone spoke of the harm done to the environment producing the batteries compaired to fossil fuelled vehicles, what they forget to mention is all the wars caused in the persuit of fossil fuel, all the destruction of the sea and wild life of fossil fuel and much more, now let's make a comparison.

Nothing we do as a species is risk free but by moving over to electric vehicles it is an attempt at reducing the impact.

Also as all of the vehicles use multiple cells and not one large cell, when the cells start to break down, (as they will) damaged cells can be replaced rather than the whole battery pack thus reducing cost for replacements, however it really does depend on the design and how they fit the battery to the bike as to the cost of cell replacement.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Last point

Forgot to mention,

A battery pack complete may cost anything from 2 grand perhaps as an example, but single replacements cells could cost as low as 20 pounds, so when the batteries start to fade and the cells are identified to bring the bike back to top notch performance could cost as low as 20 pounds excluding labour of course, but then a well designed bike would be well within most people's capability to fix themselves.

The main issue will be bike designe (not only looks) and ease of access to the individual cells.

A cell designe could be produced that made it easy for when they start to break down.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices