Skip to content

Discuss This Insurance Tips: Get the best insurance deal General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Insurance Tips: Get the best insurance deal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Staff  says:

Insurance Tips: Get the best insurance deal

Obviously choosing an older, less valuable and slower motorcycle will mean paying less to insurer it. But according to MCE Insurance, one of the brokers available through MCN Compare, there are other ways to save. Get training. Completing an advanced riding course will often qualify you for an insurance discount. Get a multi-bike policy. If you’re buying a second bike, don’t...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 09:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

ADVANCED ?

You do an advanced training course, you get your quote, then realise that the course cost more than the saving you make. ie: initial quote £400, advance course cost £150, quote after doing course £324. total cost of course and new quote £474. Conclusion, doing an advanced course is a safety thing, not a money thing.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Depends on the insurer

eBike for example appear to offer the same discount for any "advanced" course, from a one day BikeSafe up to RoSPA Gold. Oh, and they discount for listing security even on TPO policies. Like most insurance, I don't claim that makes any sense.

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

@Bubblin

see - http://www.thatcham.org/security/index.jsp?page=75 for security device info and ratings. 

Garage security doesn't make any difference, I think the underwriters look at garage as the lowest risk, but lets face it if they want to get in they will.  Plus Bike underwriters aren't geared up for assesing the effectivness of building security.

Clothing, I see your point with that one, it does make sense but would be hard for the underwiter to be 100% certain you were going to wear the gear on every journey, where as security (alarms etc) its always on your bike and most will arm automatically, on medern bikes, anyway. On my companies list of products the only locks to get are oxford, abus, mottrax. alarms, datatool, meta, spyball. The xena disclock alarm will get a discount with some underwriters.  the thing to remember, what works for one underwriter may not work for another, what works for one underwriter with one broker, may not with the same underwriter with a different broker.

Daytime riding, the problem with that is that it only takes one journey stuck in traffic, and your in early evening, and there you go you have just invalidated your policy.

Do the IAM, that helps, also joining an owners club can help too.

Don't quote 500 miles a year, try something nearer 5000, companies will look at a rider who is on the road for 500 miles a year as a higher risk to the u/w than somebody who does 5000!!

NCD protection can bring the prem down!!

Also a vouluntary excess may be saving you no money whatsoever, so check on zero vol.

Hope this helps!!!

Ciao for now!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

@Rogerborg

The reason for a discount on security on TPO policies is because if you are looking after your bike like that you are probably not the kind of person to wheelie your bike into the front of a tesco store causing millions of pounds of damage that they will have to sort out.

Reply to this Topic
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

@toadhancocks

Your comments had more info and useful tips for cheaper insurance than the original article good show Shiny side up

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

SHOP ABOUT

MCE quoted my pal £400 for his Duc Panigale, Nash wouldnt quote him, Swinton who he was with wanted £810 Ducati Ins wanted £925. MCE also did a 15 month deal so take another 25% off that £400 so his final 12 month deal came down to £300. Had a few other mates incl myself switch to this MCE deal this season.,

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

justaname!

Your arguement makes sense if you are only going to be riding bikes for a year. Do you really expect to recoupe your entire course fee in one year? I've been in the IAM for 34 years. Guess how much of a saving I've made!

Reply to this Topic
wintthesprint

Mar 13

inexpensive for me

Age, where you live... I have no "advanced" qualifications, but live in a low risk area and my insurance keeps going down - last year my 883 sportster cost £65 fully comp, or £55 without "legal", and 8 bikes (inc. GS850) on one classic policy cost £95 total... Reasoning is that I can only ride one at a time.

Keep all bikes inside locked building.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

On line tip

If you buy your insurance on line try reducing your voluntary excess, I have just done this and my premium went down, not up! 8-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices