Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

Yamaha has confirmed it does have a new seamless shift gearbox under development in Japan, but gave no indication of when reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi will race it. There has been some doubt about whether a seamless shift system was being worked on by Yamaha, with both Lorenzo and Rossi kept in the dark about development plans...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 16:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

WELL WELL

If the gearbox is only a couple of tenths and the rider is a whole second a lap Yamaha are in some serious trouble !!!!!

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Transmission vamp..

There is little doubt Honda have a massive advantage over Yamaha with their transmission, both in acceleration performance out of slow corners as seen recently in Austin, AND by stabalising the bike as it accelerates up through the box at fast sweepers leading onto straights, like the last turn at Phillip Island.

It's no coincidence that since HRC started using seamless shift in 2011, they've won 70% of all races, markedly turning results around and overtaking Yamaha as the best manufatcurer. Add this to the horsepower and sorted electronics..and you can see why Rossi & Lorenzo have a mountain to climb this year. 

Tsuji puts it around 3 tenths at Jerez. By his reckoning, that would be over half a second at some longer tracks.

Others say it's considerably more..

This from an article written by veteran journalist Dennis Noyes in March 2011.

How much is gained by this 'seamless' shifting? An article published today at as.com in Madrid speculates that Honda is using a Zeroshift gearbox and quotes the manufacturer as saying that, on an average of 30 shifts per lap, the saving in time compared to a conventional gearbox would be 0.9 of a second.

In a 2008 article about the Zeroshft automobile gearbox the estimated improvement was 0.3 of a second.

In Sepang the fastest of the Honda riders, Casey Stoner, took 1.013 from the fastest of the Yamaha riders, Ben Spies, fifth overall. The 'slowest' of the four factory Honda riders, Andrea Dovizioso, was a half second faster that 2010 World Champion Jorge Lorenzo, who was seventh.

Casey Stoner/Honda/1’59.665
Dani Pedrosa/Honda/1'59.803 +0.138
Marco Simoncelli/Honda/2'00.163 +0.498
Andrea Dovizioso/Honda/2'00,541 +0.876
Ben Spies/Yamaha/2'00.678 +1.013
Colin Edwards/Yamaha/2'00.966 +1.301
Jorge Lorenzo/Yamaha/2'01.003 +1.338

So, whether Honda’s gearbox, whoever made it, is giving the Honda riders a couple of tenths or even a lot more is something that only Honda really knows..

Honda have the best bike on the grid, Yamaha have the more accomplished riders..put them on an RCV and they'd be faster than the rookie and under performing permanant fixture.

But half a second or more is asking a lot..Yamaha need to help their riders out as soon as possible. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

CONTRADICTION

Wosihound your words contradict yourself on one hand the gearbox is only worth 0.3s, yet you say the Yamaha riders are more accomplished. So the difference in every test/race should only be an average 0.3 to  0.5 but it's already been a greater differential please explaIn !

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Quit whining Wosi

About the Honda being the best bike

You don't give a fig for Yamaha or Lorenzo. You hate Honda with a passion. The only reason you're bleating - again - about the Honda 'advantage' is because Rossi isn't on one. I don't suppose you minded when he was on the first 990 smashing the crap out of the instantly outdated 500 riders.

Rossi enjoyed many seasons on the best bike with the 'best crew chief', the best equipment and the best tyres. Now, if we accept your statement of which is 'best bike', he's in a position that all his opponents were in when they faced him for years - at a disadvantage in equipment.

So why is it that it is now unfair that a manufacturer produces a better bike and overall package than another. Purely because of who's arse is on the respective seats?

Come on Wosi, show a bit of fortitude and accept things for what they are, just as others who favour other riders have had to over the years. It's your turn now. If that means your rider is one level down and has to try a bit harder in the face of adversity then tough. Can't have it your own way all of the time.

I'll bet if Rossi was on the RCV there'd be no complaints eh...  But hold on - your newly adopted rider is on one, so if the old dog finally croaks, you've a new pup to play with for a few years yet

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

It's not whining just stating the obvious even Hondas riders and engineers have said it along with every single journo to put it to paper. If you want to pretend it isn't so that's ok also.. The real question is that with rossi back can they use his ability to put the yam back where it was totally dominant. That's a couple of years ago now though. Almost cringed when I saw the new yam frame and heard talk of spies being told to ride it like Jorge. It's a dead end just ask Ducati. Get back to the neutral bike .

Reply to this Topic
Stonered

Sep 12

Stonered says:

Well I guess Casey must have developed one hell of a bike before he went fishing then....maybe they need him at Yamaha to give them some pointers...

Reply to this Topic
Stonered

Sep 12

Stonered says:

Obviously that was at the same time that jalo and VR were both developing theirs backwards...but guess that went without saying...

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Pay attention Bulto..nobody in this camp is whining or stating stuff is unfair, that's your department.

My beef has always been with the MSMA sunshine and yes..Honda do run that particular show so cop for flak off wosi, I think they're bullies and abuse their power. Yamaha are a little less austere IMO but have also recieved stick..in that capacity too.

Lorenzo is currently the best rider out there and has grown up a lot..I like his style nowadays as opposed to when he was crying like a baby after Motegi 2010. It will be interesting to see how he reacts IF Rossi starts running him close though.

I also like that Rossi is an underdog on a package that obviously has potential, but is NOT as formidable as the RCV..however you much you repeat that it is.

As for Marquez..it has slightly shocked me how fast he is and he seems like a good kid BUT..don't confuse me winding up the ponceofrepsol for being a fanboy, he is riding a Honda afterall plus I've got to leave someone for you to cheer after the miserable Australian slinked off home haven't I..or is it Pugwash for you so you can touch tails with Nostro?

moany100..What contradiction pal?

Dani was faster than Jorge by 0.3 at Sepang1. Jorge was faster than Dani by about the same at Sepang2..so even if I understood the point you're trying to make, the differential HASN'T been greater like you say it has.

If you don't agree that Jorge & Val are more accomplished or the Honda is not superior, like Bulto..fine, but just say so. Then we can have a debate about why we don't agree? 

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Them's the breaks. Sometimes you land on a bike that's 'miles' ahead of your competition, sometimes you don't. The rider stil makes up most of the variance, provided the bikes are competitive. The Yamaha is a good bike. How much slower is it off the turns? Not much at all. It certainly looks more composed mid-turn than the Honda. The difference between the two bikes is very small. Certainly none of us here could tell the difference.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

bike advantages

have always been part of gp bike racing, and in fact the gaining of such advantages  has at least theoretically been the aim of the sport during most of its existence. I had no problem with mick doohan (obviously) or valentino having bike advantages if they did, they were hired to be on top bikes because they were the best, and both obviously contributed significantly to making their bikes the best or maintaining them as such, as what happened to alex criville after doohan retired and what happened when valentino went to yamaha demonstrated.

What seems to be a new phenomenon and one to which I do have objections is the attribution of championships to bike advantage  followed by the downgrading of the riders concerned.

As someone who has followed the sport for quite a while I did prefer the days when computer technicians/IT experts didn't have such a prominent role in the development of bike advantages though. The expense of the technology involved in seeking bike advantages currently also does not look likely to be sustainable either as has been widely said.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle